Playstation as CD-player

In this case you should pull out the DAC chip and make your own PCB.

One of the differences with the PlayStation is that there's an audio processor between the transport controller and DAC. I think that the CD is read in DAE to the audio processor and if it's really like this then the I2S signal shouldn't have a lot of jitter as the PSX runs off a 64MHz clock. It should be better than most CDPs in this case. The real problem here is that vibrations cause skipping.

Well, this is sort of a step back but I was curious.....

Yesterday I built a very primitive adapter for the AV out. It connects the first leftmost pins of the AV out to RCA jacks (from left seen from the back of the PS1: 1=R gnd, 2=R +, 3=L gnd, 4= R+). This is a simple mod which is fully reversible, can be done without disassembly, and a direct comparison to the original output can be made. I tried it on one of my completely unmodified spare PS1's. My observations:

1) The output is stereo and the volume is equal to the RCA output.
2) It sounds better. Richer and fuller, the soundstage is bigger.

Mick

Wow !

well a few days ago I raised the pin on the mute transitors on the RCA ciscuit as per dragonmasters instructions.

I put the whole player back together, put in 'Alice' by Tom Waits and listened. Wow ! Lots of bass, massive sound stage, Waits head seemed about 7 feet high. Sounds really good.

So to list what has been done :

1) Removed all 6 DC caps.

2) Jumpered a DC blocker cap (100uF Nitai 16v BIPOLAR) across where caps 1 & 3 were (per channel)

3) disconnected the mute trasistor at the signal end, again as per Dragonmasters pics

4) Used 2 halves of a copper RAM cooler to make a copper screen between the PSU & the motherboard

5) Added some stick on rubber feet

6) Added a couple of Ferrite clamps around the mains lead

The sound is very good now. Not sure if I'll go any further. I'm keen to leave the case intact, so I'll use the RCA outs and not bother with an externally cased PSU.

I'd like to fit some ferrite beads to the individual leads of the umbilical between the PSU and MOBO. Trouble is I'd have to remove the end connector. Anyone made up replacement umbilicals ? I wonder if the end connectors are standard ?

The other idea would be tiny split ferrites (if such thing exist) which I could use hot glue to fix to the cable.

Given what Mick has said, I wonder no enterprising german has developed drop-in rubber grommits to replace the standard 3 which support the transport. Sorbothane versions would go for a packet amongst audiophiles :$:

DragonMaster said:
In this case you should pull out the DAC chip and make your own PCB.

One of the differences with the PlayStation is that there's an audio processor between the transport controller and DAC. I think that the CD is read in DAE to the audio processor and if it's really like this then the I2S signal shouldn't have a lot of jitter as the PSX runs off a 64MHz clock. It should be better than most CDPs in this case. The real problem here is that vibrations cause skipping.

but i would like to keep the clock too or else it`s useless.
maybe a cd-rom?

but i would like to keep the clock too or else it`s useless.

To keep the clock you need to keep the DSP as signal source ; you have to keep the current transport.

A CD-ROM is good only if you use DAE what else it's a cheesy implementation of a CD player. There is a project here which is a 450MHz CPU driving a CDROM in DAE and outputting an I2S signal directly from it's serial outputs. It's not a 64MHz clock driving it but a 450MHz one. The only problem is that developement stopped because gmarsh, the original developer, has no time and nobody seems interested in programming it.

DragonMaster said:

To keep the clock you need to keep the DSP as signal source ; you have to keep the current transport.

A CD-ROM is good only if you use DAE what else it's a cheesy implementation of a CD player. There is a project here which is a 450MHz CPU driving a CDROM in DAE and outputting an I2S signal directly from it's serial outputs. It's not a 64MHz clock driving it but a 450MHz one. The only problem is that developement stopped because gmarsh, the original developer, has no time and nobody seems interested in programming it.

my knowledge isn`t enough of doing such things.
i thought that taking the I2S of a cd player and feeding the ps1`s
DAC would be enough but i guess i was wrong.

Konnichiwa,

kmj said:
Thanks, do you have a link or something?

Here's the link i managed to screw up earlier:
Valvebuffer

It's the very link you posted, there are two designs in that article, the gamesbox needs the design described under 3, not the one under 2.

BTW, I wrote that article, Thoorsten is the nice twin, I'm the Evil King Kuei Yang Wang, HAR,HAR, HAR (evil laugh).... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sayonara

It's the very link you posted, there are two designs in that article, the gamesbox needs the design described under 3, not the one under 2.

BTW, I wrote that article, Thoorsten is the nice twin, I'm the Evil King Kuei Yang Wang, HAR,HAR, HAR (evil laugh)....
I'll be...
Then i'll take your advice when/if i decide to do something more advanced that removing/bypassing and so on.

thanks!

back said:

forget it i measured it myself.

why you have 1mohm resistors parellel with the output?

aren`t they too big?

the originals are 1k

@back: I tested the 1 MOhm and 1KOhm resistor today and yesterday. I think it`s better to use the 1KOhm resistor because the higher frequencyes are a little bit more smooth. So i use the 1 KOHM resistor. Thanks

BR Dommi

audio1st said:
Hi All,
I'm new to this thread and would like to know if anyone has or knows if it is possible to disconnect power to the video cct? Perhaps fit a switch?

Thanks....:confused:

Some of the German web sites I think advocate an RCA dummy load to put in the Composite Video out from what I can make out. I don't know if this is snake oil, but I recall my old Marantz CD 65 came with a digital out shorting RCA connector. maybe an RCA plug with a resistor from signal to ground ?