Playstation as CD-player

Hello Cochise,

where is the relationship between the distortions that Kovas describes and the shown output filter?

The channel separation is not neccesary because the red RCA jack with internal switch is not present anymore in the picture.

Mine has got an optimum stereo channel seperation from 5-22kHz with the Denon Audio Technical CD which I've tried today.

Hello @Pg2005,
I can not find the exact plan for @Koveras modification.

I made the first experiments in 2006 over 2,0 Vrms.
I also had this problem first.
The output filter takes some power, definitely.
So I wanted to direct from cap (from opamp) to the RCA.
But the OpAmp oscillated with about 100 kHz, with filter but not.
The Oscilloscope showed the 100 kHz at the 1000 Hz measurement is not at the same time.
I had it then measured with a frequency meter.

For other performance I have other filters.

The choice of resistors for the OpAmp is crucial.
Large resistors ​​disturb more.
I build smaller resistors than the original.

In 22er board with one OpAmp I take up selected 18 k up maximal 18,2 k.
And for the bottom 11,5 k minimal 11,4 k at 2,0 Vrms.
And I have good experiences with this.

(Step Up Converter before the output stage? - I do not.)
I prefer a different approach.

Greeting Cochise

I am still there and watching ;) You are proceeding fastly and I find it difficult to keep pace.

Mick

hi Mick,

if you are still with this thread, thank you for your webpage, a lot of useful information, clear instructions, as well as clear pictures!

hope the following is not too far off topic, how did you do such a neat and clean soldering job? for example, in the picture showing the 6 caps removed, the empty solder pads were so clean and smooth, they looked as if nothing had ever happend to them, how did you do that? also, in the one where the flex cable was soldered to the laser chip, the soldering points were so shiny, neat, and clean, i couldn't tell them apart from original factory soldering, how did you do that?

if you could share your soldering techniques, that'd be great!

Sound of different boards

I´ve heard a playstation scph1000 once against a €10000 euro comp…..and i was really impressed about the sound.completely different to that what i have listened to digital audio so far.The playstation was closer to the music reality ..let´s say it was a natural..sound impression.never listen to the tone of an piano this way from digital audio.just sit there and enjoy.respect.
now i want to do the mods discussed in this thread.
so far i know best model series to use are the scph 1000,1001 and 1002.
but what is the best board to use.
pu-7,pu-8 …..number ..11,12,21,22,23 endings ?
and what is the difference in sound production among these ?
could somebody sum up experiences ?
thanks for everybody involved in this thread ! it´s great !

Hello All
Having been reading extensively here. I have the Mitsumi SR670 PSU and thought about upgrading it. Looked at
deutchermanfred.de but I'm not sure because the board he used is very different. A straight re-cap is easy but I thought there were some simple value changes and some bypassing to do that would bring a different sound.

On the SR670 what does the VA 201 change?

Good afternoon. I'm new here.

I have been following this thread for a little while and have finally joined the forum.

For some years now, I have been listening to CDs using a Playstation SCHP-1002. It's sound is very much to my taste. I recently decided to replace the output stage - I've followed Mick F's guidance on his webpage (dogbreath.de): 3.3uF Wima caps and 22k resistors.

I need some help troubleshooting. I think my trouble may be related to impedance (mis)matching.

When I first replaced the output stage, I was disappointed to hear some high frequency distortion over top of the Mahler I was playing. I checked and rechecked the solder-joints. No errors.

Then it occurred to me that I hadn't taken Mick F's final piece of advice, that is, I had not taken the input impedance of the following stage into account. His choice of 22k resistors was based on the 22k input impedance of his own preamp.

My integrated amplifier is a Topping TP60, which I used for some time with pleasure. The owner's manual does not give the input impedance, but an internet search suggests that it is likely about 100k ohm.

I decided to replace the 22k ohm resistors with 15k ohm resistors. (Provided that the input impedance of my TP60 is approximately 100k ohm, the total impedance with the 15k resistors is 13k.) With the replacement, the high-frequency distortion is effectively gone. The sound from the CD player is clean and pure. But the volume knob is now cranked way up, which is new. I've lost much of the loudness I was accustomed to.

Here's my question: If the input impedance of the integrated amp is 100k ohm, what sort of output impedance should I be aiming for with the PS1? What sort of total input impedance is desirable?

There are various things online about impedance matching, but I can't find anything like a clear answer to my questions.

I'm just trying to get the best performance from the output stage modded PS-1 with my integrated amp. I'd be grateful for any advice.

As a novice here in the forum I may briefly fancy.

My name is Manfred, am 59 years old and eager fan PS1.

Because I would like to divide my knowledge amassed about the years I pursue the homepage Feinste ANALOGE Klangeigenschaften SONY PS1 Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de

My homepage is not aimed commercially! Therefore, I expressly dissociate myself from German commercial suppliers.

Here obviously my homepage was taken note in the forum positively as well as negatively.

Now my page is on the newest state! The in English languages version is updated shortly!

Countless prospective customers has modified after my instructions already her PS1 and are very contented with the result!

I hope of course this still many Fan's of the PS1 to myself on this way a HIGH CD player can make.

Of course I am available for open question with pleasure!

With the best greetings
Manfred

As a novice here in the forum I may briefly fancy.

My name is Manfred, am 59 years old and eager fan PS1.

Because I would like to divide my knowledge amassed about the years I pursue the homepage Feinste ANALOGE Klangeigenschaften SONY PS1 Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de

My homepage is not aimed commercially! Therefore, I expressly dissociate myself from German commercial suppliers.

Here obviously my homepage was taken note in the forum positively as well as negatively.

Now my page is on the newest state! The in English languages version is updated shortly!

Countless prospective customers has modified after my instructions already her PS1 and are very contented with the result!

I hope of course this still many Fan's of the PS1 to myself on this way a HIGH CD player can make.

Of course I am available for open question with pleasure!

With the best greetings
Manfred

SCPH-1000 at TET-Computerspezials

www.spektral-audio.de

Vir.1.JPG

Virginia - 1000 "Spektral"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Measurement output stage 5,56 V RMS
Vir.7.JPG

the new EVO VII Virginia
weighs about 3500 grams

Dom.1.JPG

Dominikus - 1000 "Spektral"

Last edited:
1.70 V RMS from the Playstation in just 2 minutes by "Power Plus 61" from TET-Computerspezials
Conventional modification power Directly from the PS1-motherboard to 0 cents costs.
Developed in 2006 In home TET-Computerspezials.
Construction plan for the better motherboards with two operational amplifiers in the output stage. (see the Picture)
Greetings Cochise
Edi Helmle

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: