Playstation as CD-player

Hi,
I tried Mick's mod replacing the output stage. And now the music is all distorted in the high frequencies, no bass, and the volume is very low. I'm using 3.3 uF caps at 50V (Wifa. Same as Mick) and 22 Ohm resistors at 4W. Is the wattage on the resistors to high? In the step by step instructions by Mich, he doesn't show were to cut the third connection to the RCA. May it be that I've missed the third cut? Does someone know were that might be? Please help.:confused:

I think you should use 22K Ohm, not the 22 Ohm.

Help, how to install new RCA jacks?

I have modded four Sony PS-1 (1001) following the Dog Breath mods, output stage, etc. All work perfectly. I have tried three different ways to install new RCA jacks without success. I'm not a tech or EE but I can follow instruction/directions and reason through a problem. Most of the time. I really want to accomplish this mod.
Would someone please post a how to as to the electrical connections necessary. :D

I recently became interested in the PS1 as a CD player, but rather than building my own I want to buy an already modded one. Is there an online shop where I could buy one? Does diyaudio have a marketplace corner?

You can get all the parts for less than 35$! (PS1, Remote, Capacitors, Resistors and good RCAs, just search ebay)
I'm sure you will find a friend who can help you with the mod (Mick's Mod can be done in half an hour...) Meanwhile you can use the MultiAV/Out to get a nice sound...

You do not need an exotic box nor extra exotic mods to have a great sound... The beauty of PS1 is that it is beautiful as it is, and wonderful with a simple mod! That's what surprises people when they listen the PS1...!

I have modded four Sony PS-1 (1001) following the Dog Breath mods, output stage, etc. All work perfectly. I have tried three different ways to install new RCA jacks without success. I'm not a tech or EE but I can follow instruction/directions and reason through a problem. Most of the time. I really want to accomplish this mod.
Would someone please post a how to as to the electrical connections necessary. :D

pixelphoto and others:. Installing new RCA jacks need not be that big of a deal. Simply trace the output trace back to where the stock ones attach. The remove the the pin leads and solder to the circuit board at the same location. Same with the return. pretty simple.

If need be I'll scare up a board and take a couple of photos.

pixelphoto and others:. Installing new RCA jacks need not be that big of a deal. Simply trace the output trace back to where the stock ones attach. The remove the the pin leads and solder to the circuit board at the same location. Same with the return. pretty simple.

If need be I'll scare up a board and take a couple of photos.
Nanook, you did it again! Your guidance solved my problem. And I learned something new.

ps1 noob

You can get all the parts for less than 35$! (PS1, Remote, Capacitors, Resistors and good RCAs, just search ebay)
I'm sure you will find a friend who can help you with the mod (Mick's Mod can be done in half an hour...) Meanwhile you can use the MultiAV/Out to get a nice sound...

You do not need an exotic box nor extra exotic mods to have a great sound... The beauty of PS1 is that it is beautiful as it is, and wonderful with a simple mod! That's what surprises people when they listen the PS1...!

Having purchased a ps1 i am keen to have a play see whats on offer,The model i have is 1002 ive had a look @ dogbreaths site ie muting tranny removal and rewiring the rca. Is that the mods you refer to?

many thank alan:)
ps im not an inexperenced modder ive done many maranz cd 63s

Having purchased a ps1 i am keen to have a play see whats on offer,The model i have is 1002 ive had a look @ dogbreaths site ie muting tranny removal and rewiring the rca. Is that the mods you refer to?

The mod i'm referring to is the highpass filter (capacitors+resistors) between the DAC and the RCAs (described by Mick, for the 1002, as "...fully replace of the output stage by a simple highpass filter..." )

ps. And don't forget to change the crappy RCAs of the 1002 too! You can live with them but... ;)

I never heard the PS as CD before and after mod, but i don't understand why so many diy-rs made the mod for PS. Why? The DAC from AK so good? .. or digital processing better then in CD? mayby pick-up able to read without failure every bit? What outstanding with this PS ? ...anybody can give me answers on this question?
Thanks.

re ps1

I never heard the PS as CD before and after mod, but i don't understand why so many diy-rs made the mod for PS. Why? The DAC from AK so good? .. or digital processing better then in CD? mayby pick-up able to read without failure every bit? What outstanding with this PS ? ...anybody can give me answers on this question?
Thanks.
Its the dac,90,s technology aint been beaten today.Ive many modded marantz cd63s ps1 comes close no cigar at the moment, im gonna play and report back suprised me tho.
many thanks alan :eek: