Playstation as CD-player

Just landed with an SCPH-1000 (Japanese model) though it hasn't reached my den yet. While I'm going thorugh this thread post by post, wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with this model. What I've read so far tells me that it's not exactly the Asian version of SCPH-1001 or 1002. The DAC is different. Is it at par with the venerable 1001 in terms of audio quality?

Don't think I'd be able to go ahead and make the stupendous mods mentioned here but I'd want to change the optical unit as the laser might have gone weak. Any points I should be taking care of before I plug it into my setup?

Cheers!

Just landed with an SCPH-1000 (Japanese model) though it hasn't reached my den yet. While I'm going thorugh this thread post by post, wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with this model. What I've read so far tells me that it's not exactly the Asian version of SCPH-1001 or 1002. The DAC is different. Is it at par with the venerable 1001 in terms of audio quality?

Don't think I'd be able to go ahead and make the stupendous mods mentioned here but I'd want to change the optical unit as the laser might have gone weak. Any points I should be taking care of before I plug it into my setup?

Cheers!

SCPH-1000 is Japanese model and it is very good for modifications. I think it has AKM4309AVM or AKM4310VM, I'm not quite sure.

Take the top cover off and the metal plate and take pictures and post them here.

KSM-440BAM is the replace optical unit and it should work on scph-1000 aswell.

Hello everyone, I stumbled across this thread earlier today. I'm a newcomer to the audio scene and am just starting to put a system together. I was googling CDPs and this thread happened to pop up. I knew I had a playstation or two in storage and decided to take a look.

I actually had 5 of them, 3 are the 101 PSone models, but the other two were SCPH-1001. I still had power cords and even the original controllers without analog sticks. I tried them both and both of them work. I don't have anything to compare them to, but they do sound good. Looks like I have myself a CDP, and it didn't cost me anything. I even played a little Twisted Metal 3, that takes me way back...

10.jpg

Hi PG2005,
Mr. Methe wrote on 25.05.2009 already from a very good PS1 - Cochise Vintage - from Tet Computerspezials, see the link.

http://www.methe-family.de/tet_cochise_1000.htm

I heard from my friend Cameroonian 2008 took place in Hamburg, a test between a Cochise EVO I and a Burmester and the manager Mr. Besser has left the result with a laughing and a crying eye.
Mr. Manfred has a nice page, but I think we have two different constellations.
He tried a PS1 with $ 130 to make a high-end player visual and audible, I think my friend, he can not.
Mr. Helmle in the contrast, is a professional electronics, he perfected the PS1, and at any price,that's something else.
see the device data.
http://tet-computerspezials.de/9.html

and look you the four films

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN9MytEe30E&feature=channel&list=UL

regards Masud

@Masud

You claim that "Manfred" doesent know what he is doing ." How can you say that? Do you know Manfred in person and his profession? Probably not, otherwise you wouldn´t make such an improper comment.

For all of us is the PS1 modding just a hobby we have fun with. We must also not be taught by voodoo priests.
Everyone makes their own experiences and share them with fellows. We must not compare our results with a COMMERCIAL PROVIDER who pursues other objectives.

Manfred´s web page is just for handicraft´s, nothing else.

I really think you are a bit annoyed by someone who share´s his experience and does professional work in his spare time. By the way, in this forum the most people just add some foil capaciators and resistors and mod the psu. Why dont you go on at those guys? I think we both know the answer and haven´t got to discuss this issue in a diy forum.

All I wanted was, sharing a nice DIY webpage, which is probably the background of diyaudio forum.

Yes Masud,

Mr. Manfred Feinste ANALOGE Klangeigenschaften! Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de

I don't know if you might ment someone else.

I really think he did a really nice job and that he share's his experince with others for free.

I didn't wanted to compare anything with the web page you advised. Those are totally different intrests.

I have many respect of people who does such nice work.

Anyway many respect and honor to Edi and Manfred they both does some really nice work. But i do not want to spend nearly 7 - 10 grand for a Playstation.

PG2005,
it does not matter, about what the DIY has tried for the last 20 years on the PS1, and whether Manfred can making for $ 130 a high-end player.
I think not, high end for $ 130 remains a dream I'm wrote Mr.Manfred have a nice Page and that's my opinion.

We have 2012 and international freedom of expression.

To me it is more about fascination with technology, what's possible. And when I see these data and this Disign from Tet Computerspezials, which for me is the art. It does not matter if you can afford it or not,
the people should know that it has been out there making.
This is freedom of opinion and education.
whether it ever making can will the reader, it does not matter.
The Germans have good engineers and technical, you can be proud.
This shows the data
http://tet-computerspezials.de/9.html

And now let us discuss again from PS1:)

regards Masud

Is it possible to install a status LED so I know when the player is ready to play?

I went thru the whole thread today but I could not find anything.

Hello Pg2005,
you see the Picture,
TET-Computerspezials have from 2007 the Status-LED
without the Sony startsound.
It must go.
gretings Masud

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

can anyone translate the text under the picture,
thanks Masud :)

of this Site under the picture with the LED

V - max. 4,9 V ~ eff. - Tet-Computerspezials

"Die TET-Plexiportlösung an einem Rohling EVO V B/P/1 (Dominikus Basic) mit der 2007 bei TET entwickelten taktenden Betriebsstatusanzeige-LED verfügbar seit der Entwicklung von EVO II, für uns Techniker im Hause TET hat diese LED eine reine Diagnosefunktion."

I think he just tried to explain the status LED.
wrapped up in a long sentence.

Plexi Port means nothing else than the blue plexiglas front where the ports were before.

Many things are just blabla

Next try i will use 4x 4.7uF MKP and parallel 10uf MKT capaciators at the output stage.

Has anyone the electrical shematics for the PS1? Not PSU. Just the board.

The startsound you can switch off on the bios. Some nice vids on youtube. PS1 bios hack.

The status led is just a gimmik to tell when the cd is ready to play.
Cant be nothing special.

I just disassembled my laser unit and cleaned it carefully. Works brilliant now with any kind of cd.

I found also out how to smoother the sound of the cd unit. But this one is not even nescessary. Because the PS1 is already quiet. No capaciators needed at the brushed motors and at the bias. But it sounds goof if you want to have something different compare to others.

I have a DC DC transformer 5V up to 12V built in and two burr brown soic OPA2134. With the right resistors 39K in the output stage like on Feinste ANALOGE Klangeigenschaften! Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de but you have to ask Mr. Manfred which one would be right. It is up to the OP Amplifier what resistor you have to use.

In fact, I heard it against an thorens cd player, so what should i say?

My PS1 was killing this thorens cd with an external DA transformer.

So what do you think?

Many things are just blabla

hi Pg2005, i thank for your loveless translation,

yes I think like you,

Yes it true without the modifications from Mr. Helmle tet computerspezials have would still the audio version of the PS1 1.06 V ~ output Power, also your. Many people have benefited from it.
As Mr. Helmle 2006 announced, that the qualities is in the power output, but nobody wanted to believe at that time.

best regards Masud
;)

Last edited: