Playstation as CD-player

Yes I noticed that when I opened it up, all the parts are very, very, very, small. :)
where do you advise I get the parts for building the new power supply?. Ebay or another particular site?

You need two PSs one for 3.6v and the other for 7.6v. The start-up draws quite a lot and so 1.5 - 2amps is needed. I think that there must be some kind of delay circuitry in the SMPS PS as I have found that to get the linear PS to start the PS1 and read the disc, I have to momentarily switch the 3.6v supply off and on. A momentary switch is ideal.

I used this circuit to build a good stiff adjustable supply.

Ampere or Current Booster Circuit Circuit Diagram

For Q1 I used a BD139.

I used an LM317 with 5k variable resistor to adjust voltage out.

Last edited:
PS 1 output increase

I would like to offer an update on my PS1 CD player project and also ask for some help increasing the gain from the tube output stage.
My CD player has been completed for a few months now and is sounding excellent through my single ended triode EL84 amp.The PS1 has a linear power supply and a 6dj8 output stage direct from DAC.The tube stage I used was posted in this thread it is by Thorsten Loesch titled "Thermionic Valve analog stage for digital audio".On the bench I noticed the RF filter at the input caused a bit of a drop in the already low output of the player so I opted not to install the filters,just a 1k resistor input.This sounded fine and I used it for months like this.That is,until I upgraded several components in my amp to make it much more revealing.Now the sound was a bit hard and Harsh,Or perhaps "grainy"would be a good term.I decided to add the RF filter.This made an obvious improvement.The CD player is now very smooth sounding and enjoyable.But Now I would like to find a way to get the output a bit closer to a normal CD player and would like to get some advice from those with more experience and expertise than myself.Ideally I could modify this circuit to increase gain?Or perhaps someone could suggest another?
Much thanks to all.This thread has been an incredible source for me.Enclosed is the schematic for the tube output stage(using only half of the balanced RF filter of course).
Paul

Attachments

• tube op1.jpg
    tube op1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:
Very, very good sounding indeed!

I also want to thank eveyone who made this thread possible.

After listening to my PS1 for a couple of months now thru the A/V output (and enjoyed it!) I did the first tweak last night. I got rid of the outputstage by removing the six dc blocking capacitors and one smd capacitor. I then broke the old signal traces near the RCA outputs and soldered in 2 pieces of shielded mini coax cable from the leadpads close to the DAC and straight to the RCA's. I connected the shields to the ground pins of the RCA connectors. It's pretty much what Mike_F suggests on his site.

The sound, the stage opened up and got more exact at the same time. Strangely I found that the sound has moved to the brighter side so I found it neccessary to give it a bit more bass. My settings before was direct sound circumventing the tonecontrols altogether.
But I like it a lot. Diana Krall "Live in Paris" sounded just fabulous!

I have to build the linear PS.

Brgds

I've implemented some of the mods at dogbreath.de (removed capacitors/ skipped op-amp, disconnected muting transistors), but now my drive doesn't spin up. Any ideas what the issue could be?? I've tested with a multimeter and the wires near the motor are getting 3.5V. My suspicion is the brown ribbon, but i don't know what to try differently ??

Here is my last work on 8mm aluminum box and solder all the side pieces. Front 10mm thick and weighs 9.600 kg

Whit magnetic Clamp, in this assembly using two pairs of Wima in the DAC output, the sound is fabulous...

Any resemblance to the Accustic Arts Drive II is pure coincidence.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My DIY: Leitor de CD da Playstation 1002 em caixa de aluminio...

Wow, very nice job,man.... make me want to sell my Lindemann and buy this one. :)

Superb!!!

worth it?

Good day everyone!

I have managed to get a hold of the 5501 model without the rca outs.

i plugged it in unmodded and it sounds fairly good to my untrained ears.

not spectacular, just decent.

im wondering if its worth it to mod the 5501 or just try to find a 1001 version?

also im a bit confused as to which mod i should do? i looked at the dogbreath site, and am not sure if its necessary to do output bypass?

in one article it says to use the av out (which is the only option on the 5501 model) but on these forums it say to bypass that and add the rca direct out ?

are there any specific photos of this being completed on the 5501?

help!

hi!
i am john!
thanks everybody for all this informations at this post!
i ve finish with mods at my ps1!
it is scph-1002
sounds great!!! realy nice sound!
i have use wima caps 4,7uF 63v and resistance 22k 1/2watt..
i have only one problem....
sounds great but when i hook up the yellow rca at my av reciever i hear distortion...
also and when i hook up at my lcd tv the same distortion...
any help??
thanks a lot guys!!

5502 hiss issue

Hi everyone!
Thanks to this thread, I've managed to get a 5502, planning to mod it.
So far, listening through it's multi AV connection, it sounds great but comparing it to my m-audio 2496, there's one thing I'm not happy with: hiss noise. It's clearly noisier than my sound card, just the hiss.
Other than that, the sound is really promising.
My question is: anybody thinks that applying the output circuitry mod will lower the noise?
Or maybe it's from the power supply and I have to replace it with a linear one?
Many thanks!

Hi everyone!
Thanks to this thread, I've managed to get a 5502, planning to mod it.
So far, listening through it's multi AV connection, it sounds great but comparing it to my m-audio 2496, there's one thing I'm not happy with: hiss noise. It's clearly noisier than my sound card, just the hiss.
Other than that, the sound is really promising.
My question is: anybody thinks that applying the output circuitry mod will lower the noise?
Or maybe it's from the power supply and I have to replace it with a linear one?
Many thanks!

Must remove the capacitors 423 and 424, the output solder directly on the DAC pins 15 and 16.

All with caution when using the soldering iron. The rest of the modifications is equal to 1002.

Last edited:
ilustration

SCPH-55xx :: chip.jpg picture by gaeto31 - Photobucket

Here is a lil example how to replace the SMD capacitors to Panasonic FM 22uF/50V and take the output directly of the audio chip.

SCPH-55xx :: chip.jpg picture by gaeto31 - Photobucket

Just above is how to remove all noises (from the SMPS), the ground of the IEC connector is attached to the ground on the main board.

I don't this the SMPS is bad but strongly recommand a good grounding.

SCPH-55xx :: RCA_chassis.jpg picture by gaeto31 - Photobucket

And how to fix the RCA to the chassis. If the RCA sockets aren't too big of course...

Thanks for the suggestions & images.
I didn't find the time for modding, I've had some trouble with the laser unit.
It started skipping heavily with commercial CD's, so I've raised it to 11.9 (it was at 10mV initially).
Then I could listen to a CD-R audio, up to the last song, when it started skipping just a little. Playing the same CD-R from the beginning, it skipped badly again, so I took it to 13.5mV.
This time it played well throughout the CD, but I wonder how much time this laser unit has got left, it seems to go worse and worse.

direct out from DAC

Sorry if this question is answered already (I feel that it is). I'm only up to page 115. I just wanted to clarify. If my preamp has DC blocking capacitors on the inputs, can I just run directly out from the DAC in the playstation? And if I did that, I would connect pins 15 and 16 to the + pins on some RCA jacks. Where would I connect the - leads? Sorry if this is a trivial question. I'm new to the subject.