Playstation as CD-player

Hi,
I have been modifying PlayStation SCPH-1002 models by making the changes Mick suggested and connecting the DAC directly to the phono outputs via an R-C network (again according to Mick). I now have a batch of these machines, all cleaned and with adjusted lasers and with IR remote controls. I have been providing them to friends and family, but I am now advertising them on eBay for £50 plus postage. If anyone is interested please contact me. I can also make these mode to your machines if you like.

Well, the 1001/2 and the 5000 models share the same DAC, so modding the output stage will have the same results.

Using another newer transport will require some modding also to fit!

To Tolu,

I could try to design one to fit on the PS case, but keep in mind that Mick strongly suggested that it should be outside!

Regarding the grounds again, do you think I can use a ground plane for all of the circuit, or at least for the rectifiers part (msr860) I shouldn't use the same, or abandon completely the idea and return to separate signals?

Hi carcass

I don't know how hot the supply will get. But I don't think that the 10 or 15 Watt will be such a big issue. You can drill some additional holes in the top of the case. The rest of the PS1 is the more heat releasing part.

I am not the ground plane guru but I would divide the drive circuit from the audio circuit.

Hi

Battery supply is Ok but it really needs to be regulated and the battery must be relatively big,that means more or less the same type of circuit as you have seen at Mikes site,except the diode bridge and transformer.

It isn't really that difficult,if you put some time into it ,I believe you could make it.But there are still some safety issues even with the batteries(short circuit,fire:eek:).

Hi

The ps1 needs a stable supply Voltage,when the battery drains the Voltage drops. With T- amp you don't need stable Voltage, it can be for example 10V-14V or something like that...

One thing I tried some time ago was to feed the DAC chip directly with D-cell batteries ,unregulated.Just few diodes to drop the voltage close to 5V.

New case

I recently finished my new enclosure for the PS1. It now fits very good to my lowboard. Like a chameleon :).

Perhaps a new power supply would bring some improvement...

Attachments

• PS_TL_W1.jpg
    PS_TL_W1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 938
Hi

enclosed are the measures. The case is made out of 0.2" MDF for ground plate and frame. The top is made out of 0.5" MDF. The circle is made out of transparent acryl (PMMA). The veneer is french walnut. The coating is done with Danish oil.

Pictures from the inside are momentarily hard to made because of time issues. The original PS1 top is omitted. The rest is mounted on the ground plate that is fixed with alu angles. I can make some more pics of the top and the back if you like.

It was much work!

Attachments

• PS1-TL-measure.jpg
    PS1-TL-measure.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 821
first post

hi everyone,

just bought a ps1 few days ago... decided to add some buttons to it. first time doing any soldering... so pretty happy with it. any suggestions for mods of similar difficulty? i'm a starving university student, so i cant spend too much. i wonder how much of a difference a better power cable would make? eg. ps audio xStream power punch c7...

heres some pictures of my mod (its a 5502)

Attachments

• CIMG5756.JPG
    CIMG5756.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • CIMG5757.JPG
    CIMG5757.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,046