Playing with the nanoDIGI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Sorry. I know both dacs recommended were USB based. It was more to address the difference in sound one can get from similar options.

No apology necessary. :)

As all of these technologies converge, it is tempting to simplify as much as possible and integrate into a single box. There are advantages to this, certainly...

...Until another technology comes along.

Then we realize that keeping things modular is best in the long run. Not unlike how "separates" offered more versatility back in the day, individual digital components (with compatible interfaces) offers us the same.

Note that the bracketed section is obviously the critical part. I am not sure, but I think I2S should be the standard. SPDIF/TOSLINK has too much "baggage" in both the literal and figurative senses.

Thanks, this was just what I needed - why couldn't the tech support just point me here? Instead I get 24 hr delayed sparse emails.
Why they simply didn't link you to the manual is incredulous and typical.

Like the day one of their support people told me my 2x4, umik et al ordered was late due to the cal debacle. Over and over got this run around. Then shoved in their face when they NEVER forfilled the order in the first place, weeks after it had been placed and cash spent.

Were much nicer when my UMIK was one of the first to have noise issues and replaced it with a new one for free.

Sometimes it's best to hang up the phone and try again later. Second or third try normally works better when faced with issues like that, be it email, post or chat session. Never know who is on the other end, how their day was or is going or their GF/wife cut them off and your getting the raw end of that deal :rolleyes:

Hi X, sorry on the delayed reply.

As shown in the Curryman DAC's manual, the connection is quite straight forward. One thing not documented properly is the pin numbering of the I2S I/O header of the miniSharc, I made a .pdf and have included a copy...

I used a 2x13 header & 26x ribbon cable, then made a simple break-out board to make wiring easier...

Paul

Attachments

• miniSharc_pinout_v2.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 66
  • miniSHARC_2.JPG
    miniSHARC_2.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 330
  • miniSHARC_3.JPG
    miniSHARC_3.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 334
It's a shame the header on the minisharc was not laid out to accept the curryman DAC option in a way that would allow the use of ribbon cable without splicing and seperation of the one connection end.

I wonder when they will get more DACs in. If well implemented, you are basically listening to the output of an oppo103. I have V3 of the Subbu DAC and will compare to V1 as well as Oppo105.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

As shown in the Curryman DAC's manual, the connection is quite straight forward. One thing not documented properly is the pin numbering of the I2S I/O header of the miniSharc, I made a .pdf and have included a copy...

I used a 2x13 header & 26x ribbon cable, then made a simple break-out board to make wiring easier...

Paul

Thanks so much. It is not plug and play but certainly not too difficult in terms of wiring as long as there is a guide and schematic. Now there is. Thanks! Can you help me with listing all the parts? Did you get them all in one order with miniDSP ?

Paul

Super Thanks! You da man!!
:cheers:

I was under the impression that I2S lines are somewhat sensitive and should be handled with care. Have you noticed any noise issues or other problems that arise from the arrangement. We are talking about S/N levels that could be affected by such things. Dont know, just asking.

No Problem :)... I made one order to save on shipping ... $30 each time. Got hit with VAT & UK shipping costs when it arrived also.

Items:

miniStreamer: USB to S/PDIF I/O interface
Digi-FP: S/PDIF to I2S I/O interface
miniSharc
VOL-FP: volume & input/program selector
2 x Curryman DAC.

Power supplies are 'The Wire' PSU v1, 1x +/-15Vdc & 2x 5Vdc

My set up is 2-way, only have one DAC output connected in the photos... You could connect up a TPA Buffalo III for a 4-way balanced set-up. Run it in voltage mode and save $$$'s on multiple buffer stages.

It has been mentioned on the miniDSP forum that a proper miniSharc breakout board is being designed within the community, not sure when it will become available though.

Haven't had any issues with noise due to the I2S lines. miniDSP recommends keeping them to <3cm. A few reports on their form say no problems using twisted pair cables up to ~20cm.

Paul

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm clueless how spdif and toslink optical signals are shared/split up but it seems HT systems can transmit 7.1 audio (8 channels) with a single cable. Is there an spdif or optical DAC that has a single input with 8 outputs that you can assign and use in a non HT context? That is use it for a 4 way XO in stereo? The Curryman DACs look nice and I am sure they sound great - they are out of stock and won't be available for a while. What other I2S DACs are out there that can work well?

Edit: I just looked up the TPA buffalo 3 and it is spdif or i2s input with 8 analog outputs. Maybe I answered my own question - this board can do it with a single spdif coax line rather than 4 sets of length limited i2s ribbon that you have to do a switcheroo on with a breakout board. Looks a lot more appealing. Hmm....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.