• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plate Resistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am constructing an RIAA preamp based on the attached schematic from Svetlana. My question is, surely the plate resistor value is to high? I'm reading a healthy 360V at B+ but by the time it hits the Plate it's dropped to 65V, surely way low for this tube?

I am only seeing a voltage gain of about 10 (4mV in/40mV out) which is pretty useless.

Or is there an issue with the B+ supply?

Being a newb I'm cautious to experiment too far with plate resistors for fear of setting my hair on fire.

Thanks for any input.

Philip

Attachments

• svetlana riaa pre.jpg
    svetlana riaa pre.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 248
Thanks - this is one of those...I've started so I'll darn well finish projects!

I've got to say that the Svetlana layout is pretty obtuse, everytime I look at it it's different but my wiring appears correct.

I am having a hardtime understanding why they would have you build a beefy B+ only to drop it down to 65V at the plate? Doesn't seem right to me or maybe I'm missing something?

Morning Phillip:

I have a book here "Audio Valve Amplifiers" by elektor. It has 3 examples of an EF86 wired up as a Pentode. In one example they are using 100k plate resistor 2.2k cathode resistor and 470k to G2 It is wired the same as your example. The voltages they show are about 4.6v on the cathode and around 208v on the plate with B+ of 350v. (G2 voltage shown as 192V) Hope that helps. MelB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.