• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plate-Grid feedback: How to get better than DHT performance from cheaper tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
'How to get better than DHT performance' - it's relatively easy isn't it ? but engineering perfection is not why we use DHTs.

Wavebourn - I thought you had reached the 'end' with your Tower hybrid - is there something about the Tower hybrid that is falling short that would justify something new for you ? I really like your Tower design, I've just been too lazy/busy to build it yet.

I am too lazy to repeat the same design. :D

Tower is the winter version of an amp for low efficiency speakers, like Magnepan. It generates lots of heat. I have also Pyramid deign, it is AB tube amp, quite powerful, but much more energy efficient. Now need to make a good for production Gubernator version, for high efficiency speakers.

Also, ideas are coming every night... What to do with them? :D

but engineering perfection is not why we use DHTs.

My view is simply that you can get better linearity, higher gain, lower rp, and bigger signal swing out of a pentode-connected KT88 with plate-grid feedback than you can out of a 300B. And KT88s are much cheaper than 300Bs. What's not to like?

I mean, there are more power supply rails necessary, but you recoup that cost in the price difference between a single KT88 and 300B bottle.

But everybody has their preferences, don't let me talk you out of doing things the way you want to. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.