plasma tweeter - ion tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have only heard about plasma tweeters, but i recently sold an active XO to a fellow for use with a set of ion-o-vacs on top of his stacked quads. He thought they were better than his Decca Ribbons, and the Deccas are the best tweeter i have ever heard.

dave

(planet10/wishing some Ravens would off the back of the truck :))

Hmmm plasma tweeter, why wasn't I expecting to see a thread about this ;)

Last thoughts I've been having are 807, Tesla Coil style. 600V supply, 12B4 CF for screen modulation. If I had a modulation transformer, I could use plate modulation instead, and regulate screen.

Hmm, winding one couldn't be too hard, only has to go down to say, 1kHz right? :)

Last bench test was a 6BG6 at 400V plate and screen. 3/16" flame starts on its own. Quiet as heck when I try to modulate it, and scope shows it's modulating 100%(?!).
What I don't get is why a paper-form coil doesn't work anywhere near as well as a plastic form.

Tim (uh oh, AC/DC - Big Balls is on the radio! :cannotbe: )

I've heard the Acapella Violon 2001 speaker, and it really did sound awsome, I remember that it had really accurate highs, very clear and soft in the same time.

heres a pic ;)

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 918
Someone mentions Ozone just about every time the plasma topic is brought up. A "hot" plasma actually tends to destroy Ozone. The Plasmatronics speakers were run in a closed room for 8 hours with an Ozone meter and the level actually dropped below "normal". They do create an odor - probably oxides of Ntirogen. Does anyone out there still own a pair of the Hill's?
:whazzat:

Hill Plasmatronics Owners

I'm in the process of putting together a Google Group for Hill Plasmatronic owners and enthusiasts. The plan is to include the background of the company, operations & repair manuals, photos, misconceptions, and how to keep them running.

Now, here is an idea that could lead to non O3 and other gases inside the room.
If you cannot avoid them, keep them away!
I am thinking of making the tweeter spark inside a metal sphere (not grid, not transparent). at the top of the sphere there will be a needle (maybe a screw) to alow the sparc to be created/discharged. To maximize gain (although the sound angle will be limited), I am thinking of using a horn. At the bottom back end there will be a small hole which will have a rubber tube connected to the sphere. The rubber tube will be connected to a device outside of the house which will sink air (like a vacuum cleaner) using maby a small fan system.
As I said the horn will maximize gain but it has also another use. Clean air is comming from the horn ONLY (because it is the only way, as the plasma is enclosed inside the shpere). The clean air fills the sphere and the vacuum (fan) system sinks the O3 (and others) outside the house, so there is no dangerous gasses inside the house.
The effectiveness of the air system can be tested by putting cigarette smoke near the horn opening.
The metal sphere has also another use. It is a good shielding against RF interference and there is no way of getting a fire (at least not by the flame itself)
What do you think of this idea?

I am thinking of constructing this tweeter:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/cwillis/tweeter.html
I find the 6146 more interesting, as it is more cheap and smaller in size.
Besides I like the triode at the low end of the signal.
I have already purchased a set of porcelain tubes to wind the coils...
I hope this will work...

I would also like to ask a second thing.
How the performance of the driver stages will affect the tweeter sound?
Does these stages have to operate into class-A? Do they have to use expensive coupling caps like in an amplifier circuit? Will it affect the sound? Or we just care about the amplitude of the plasma sparc ant nothink else affects sound?
cheers

Hill Plasmatronics

Hey Tony- You repaired our plasma drivers many years ago and were always fun to deal with...

http://groups.google.com/group/hill-plasmatronics

is the link. I want to upload a bit of information on it before advertising it. I knew you could be an asset in getting it going!

John Mayberry

P.S. I started a Lecson Google Group a couple of months back if you want to see a similar plan.... worked out extremely well.

http://groups.google.com/group/lecson-audio

There have been several threads on plasma tweeters here!
Do a search?

There was a recent one that showed promising results.

One caveat:
PLEASE GROUND AND SHEILD THE TWEETER!!
That's because it is an emitter of RF noise, noise that can interfere with important and unimportant services and equipment.

I'll agree with Nelson Pass, one of the most impressive speakers I can recall hearing was the Hill Plasmatronics, that is from the xover to the plasma section up (the bass was less than good).

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.