Plans for a medium sized tower speaker - $ 500-700 budget - huge room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a pair of tower speakers for my great room. They need to look *really* good, so I'm thinking just a straight up rectangular box, that I can do a wrap around wood veneer on.

The space is large enough to house a brontosaurus (who knew they were fictional!) but these need to look good more than anything else. It's just for background music, but I do turn it up a bit on occasions. No movies etc.

I'd love to find a design with a high efficiency ribbon tweeter paired to a 8" mid and maybe a side firing 10 or 12" pro driver, but I don't want to design this myself. I have a cone & dome 89 db/w/m speaker I'm using right now that does OK, so I can live with that type of speaker if I can't find a slim profile hi-eff design.

Extension down to 40hz is OK. These will be placed right up against the rear wall. The room is a very irregular shape, so room modes shouldn't be much of an issue.

So... I know Zaph has some well regarded designs, but there must be a lot more out there...

Budget of $500-700 for drivers and crossover (I can solder). Wood veneer and MDF is not included in this price.

Why is efficiency important for mostly background music? Are we talking super tiny amps? Speedster TMM seems to fit the bill better than what you are describing, otherwise: way more slim, still with lots of bass and a ribbon, and the low end of the budget. Wouldn't go super loud, but will go louder than you'd want to talk over.

I want to use a 40-50 w/ch tube amp (purely for looks).

Efficiency would be good for the times I want to turn it up a bit.

The loft/dinning/living room are all open to one another and the distances can be pretty large. When I'm in the kitchen, the speakers are ~40 feet away.

The current speakers are TMM with 6" drivers. They are not that great when turned up. I know I can't expect anything too amazing with the size constraints, but an extra 6db would be nice.

I will check out your suggestions, thanks!

Actually, I just broke out the tape measure and it's 50ft from the kitchen sink to the speakers. Ceilings are 24ft tall :eek:.

Of course the lounge room is a lot closer to the speakers, depending on where you're sitting. Dinning room table is still about 30-40ft away depending on where you're sitting at the table.

Those speedy TMM's look great, but I think I need bigger "M"'s :D

Last edited:
Oh, I believed the Aussie flag :). ~90dB is the best you'll do in a modest enclosure size with bass, but your current speakers may well be crapping out before your amp. since you're in the U.S, how about the SEOS stuff? The semi-constant directivity wouldn't hurt in a big room. You could pick a smaller kit off diysoundgroup.com and build active subs into the base, or you could go a bit wider and lower efficiency and do: https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/bwq7a8/seos12-designer12-v2/
(loads of bass there, and not expensive at all)

I love horns! But it took me two years to talk the wife into letting me put antlers over the fireplace. :D

I have a double garage stacked full of altec gear, but that is for another project...

Back to the little box speakers :(. Horns are too wide and old school looking for the decor. I need something that looks more like the speedsters.

I guess I could do 10" wide, 16" deep and 36" high at most.

My wife has suffered my ugly, giant, unfinished speaker projects for way too long! :D

I guess if I can't have hi-eff I can have me some bass? Something with a 10-12" side firing woofer, with a 5-6" mid driver?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hi Steve
Considering the size of the warehouse you are trying to fill with sound the size you give is a very small speaker.

Personally I like 8inch mids ( I have a thing about old Japanese stuff) but if I was using a 200mm mid I would want a pair of 300mm bass drivers Which could be side firing

The Elsinore looks great, but it's a little too big and more than I want to spend at $2200 for the kit.

Here's a pic of the space from the kitchen. You can see my current speakers over in the far corner. I don't want anything much bigger than that.

But I was thinking I could buy a cabinet and hide a sub in it and put those seos speakers on top.

Attachments

• h1.JPG
    h1.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 218
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
A 2 way wont be satisfying enough for this big room, imo.
you need at least a 3-way. either a two way with a active sub at 60 to 100hz, or a 300/3000 xo with a big woofer on the bottom.
Do you need kits? theres not a lot of kits available that offer 3-ways in your price range.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.