• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Placid-BP Bipolar Shunt Regulated Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Placid BP troubleshooting help please

I'm having an issue with my Placid BP power supply and was hoping for some assistance to figure it out. If this is the incorrect place to post this, I apologize.

I'm using it to provide +/- 15v to the analog section of my DIY DAC. It's been in use for a month or so now with no issues. I noticed the other night the LEDs on the negative side of the board weren't lit any more. Touched the heatsinks on that side, they were cool to the touch. Measured approx 20v (I'm using an 18v transformer) at AC2, there is the same reading (2.0v) across D1/D2 as D3/D4. I'm unable to adjust VR3 to get V- into where I need it, -15.0v. The closest I can get it is about -16.8v. I've gone through and done the adjustments to the negative side of the PS as outlined in the First Steps portion of the manual with no change.

Any guidance is appreciated, I don't have a great deal of experience with electronics so please don't assume I know anything :confused:

Ben

R18 is .26v.

Oddly, after turning the board over a couple times to check the voltages, the LEDs were lit and I was able to adjust V- to where I need it. Since I started this post, the LEDs are now off, and the reading at V- has gone from -15.0v to -27.4v.

How would I go about checking the caps for shorts?

Humm?
Would Placid help performance of my Buffalo24 boards?
Realizing Buff24 has series regs on the board for dig and ana sections.
Just checking out the Placid, would there be any benefit for Buff24 to
using shunt reg? If so would best benfit be realized by bypassing onboard regs.
Would analog only side benefit more than digital side?

I have the original LCD and LCBPS supplies I'm using on a different dac. They made a big sonic difference. I've been waiting for the shunts to come out.

I read on the previous pages these should be lower noise. Do you suspect it will be a day/night difference? Or just quieter and better low level detail?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Placid BP PS revision 1.0 for PCB revision 2.1.2

I need to know when you said at the manual of Placid BP PS revision 1.0 for PCB revision 2.1.2:

"Now adjust the CCS pots (VR1/VR2) until the measured voltage across R1 & R2 are ~0,25V"

So the voltage measured across R1 & R2 coul be 15,25V to 14,75V, not 0,25V, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.