Pirate music

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jeah but would the Beatles be Beatles if they haven't been discovered by the industry.Would they become more than just local band playing at weddings?

The internet, computers greatly easing the capital requirements of making a recording and non-physical delivery mean that the musician now lives in a world where sHe has the capibility to rwach out and directly touch the consumer.

Most of my CDs i have bought used... when i want something new i try to buy direct from the musician'sweb site.

I find MP3s, youTube music etc mostly not listenable.on occasion i will buy the full rez versions after hearing something i'd like to hear for real.

dave

The authour's of my favorite solitaire game, have, in their licencing agreement, an encouragement to "share" the software as they strongly believed that that increased their sales.

If you want to make money at software, it had better be something special or protected by a hardware lock or some sort of activation scheme. Putting a simple program out as a way of marketing your software talents is not a bad way of marketing.

I once encouraged a young man to ask for donations with his software which he originally wanted to offer for free. IIRC, he got _one_ donation. People are opportunistic.

My work has a whole staff dedicated to RIAA/MPAA complaints. That is a lot of money when you add it up over network providers, schools, etc all over the country.

I don't have any pirated music, but due to the paragraph above, I now buy all my music at used sellers, or steep discount sellers. It's a rare event that would entice me to pay more than $5 for a CD.

If you want to make money at software, it had better be something special or protected by a hardware lock or some sort of activation scheme. Putting a simple program out as a way of marketing your software talents is not a bad way of marketing.

Free software rarely has any support.
When I sell software I offer email and telephone helplines, this on its own could easily add up to the cost of the software in time. I have had a few customers comment on what excellent support they got from me after being badly bitten by other software vendors.
Being the author of the software I sell means I can fix problems very quickly.
If you are buying from a vendor that didnt write the software you are likely to get fobbed off as they havent a clue.

In which case sometimes you can improve sales by raising the price. I know of several examples where this has occurred. Wine and audio gear are the ones that spring to mind. If you charge a pittance some will think you don't think it is valuable, and will not value it.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yup , not condoning stealing the music, but the entrapment is pretty distasteful, RIAA is mainly supporting industry, the treatment of the "artists" by the industry was pretty shabby, and they really had no clue how the market had shifted. It took approaches like Apple's to show them how it needed to be done, but they're STILL pretty lost it seems.

I buy used CD's online too, and at the huge Amoeba Records here in SF. The older CD's tend to be less compressed.

I am also very partial to the argument performers need to make their money performing. If they are no good at that that is not my problem. Record companies are like a cartel, mafia you name the poison. Those kind of people will always find a way to screw other people over to make money.

Do you honestly think the artists will suffer if the industry fails to adapt?
Artists were around before the RIAA and they will be better off without them. Use your imagination.

So in that case why not stop everyone buying software and music and see how much is then produced, zero !

I have written software over a period of 11 years and sell it. Who is going to pay for 11 years of my time ?

It really upsets me when people give software free. How am i supposed to compete with that and make a living ?

A good business model needs to reflect that not everyone puts the same value on a piece of software as the owner/creator.
We also need to accept that many organisations give software away and hope to make money through donations and paying feature upgrades. To a certain extent is sets a precedent, and its becoming more common.
Generation Y is not prepared to pay more than 99c for an app, cos that's what the apple store charges.

If microsoft sold office for 30 dollars a copy then they would probably not be worried about piracy. They would probably be a 3 billion dollar company and not a 100 billion dollar company(arbitray figures).

My message to the recording industry is go back to selling vinyl and tapes. That way they keep their heads buried in the sand and we can get on with it.

So in that case why not stop everyone buying software and music and see how much is then produced, zero !

I have written software over a period of 11 years and sell it. Who is going to pay for 11 years of my time ?

It really upsets me when people give software free. How am i supposed to compete with that and make a living ?

Have to disagree, as I've stated music has and always will be around. Musicians will always make a living. The question is, does society put the same value on their music as it did 25 years ago. The answer maybe no and they need to adapt to the new conditions or fail.
I also find it abhorrent that technically I can not busk on the street without breaking copyright laws. I have a friend who pays royalties to play music in his very small business.The world is better of without these bullies. They are fighting for their lives IMO but wait and see, Lady Gaga will still be doing shows:)

Do you honestly think the artists will suffer if the industry fails to adapt?
Artists were around before the RIAA and they will be better off without them. Use your imagination.

No I do not and if you read my post and got the gist of it you would not think I do. And the way you put it I already used my imagination. RIAA, the industry and their lawyers are all mafia or at least a cartel. Screw them. Make money performing. All involved are just like a middle man who needs to be cut out.

Edit
BTW Listening to the Pogues album If I should fall from grace with god via flac, EAC secure test and copy rip and enjoying it. I did once own the original but that is a passed station as my stuff actually did get stolen. A big up to the movers, I know who you are and we will meet again.

Last edited:
I find MP3s, youTube music etc mostly not listenable.on occasion i will buy the full rez versions after hearing something i'd like to hear for real. dave

Yes, I concur. They hurt my ears. I cannot for the life of me understand why people listen to music via those channels. Youtube Schmutube. Videos are not at all needed for good music to reach out to people either.

I find MP3s, youTube music etc mostly not listenable.on occasion i will buy the full rez versions after hearing something i'd like to hear for real.
dave

I read on the web the other day the UK is reviewing its laws around copyright. They plan to allow you to make a copy or change format of music you have purchased. I wonder how they will deal with resolution, ie I bought an mp3 and I now want the FLAC version?

Status
Not open for further replies.