Pioneer SA-7800 loing for help

Sorry audiopackrat, I didn't see you were talking about to-3 cases in particular so Just a simple missunderstanding.

Sakis, I think you missunderstood my question, you seem to disagree with me but than say the exact same thing I said before... I Just wanted to know if what I did on the marantz is also a good option for other amps with parallelled output transistors, from what you sais I understand the answer is yes.

Specifically for the amplifiers that use 4of NEC small transistors is not just a fix for me is the best of the best solution .I could recon only that .

But for bigger amplifiers i cannot tell depends on the type of outputs

Don't feel bad, Depaj, I just realized that the Pioneer SA-7800 doesn't even use TO-3s.:eek:
I have one sitting out in my shop that needs repaired. Not when I will get to it though. However, I don't think that I would replace four ouput transistors with two on that amp. It is a non-switching amp, and tweeking the design could be trouble.

Finding outputs for this amplifier will also be trouble if gone ....

I had a Pioneer SX-3900, which as a very similar, but more powerful amp section, come through a couple of years ago with one channel out. I wish I would have taken notes as to what I did to fix it.
I know for one thing, I shitcanned the plug in leads, and soldered the wires directly to the transistor leads. I also added heatsinks to the drivers.
If memory serves me, I lucked out and had the correct outputs and drivers in my parts inventory. OP may have to study some datasheets to find a TO-247 or similar that will work and drill the heatsink to fit.

Depaj, B&D Enterprises is very reputable, and they show 2SA1216/C2922 which will replace A1075/C2525 in stock for $20+shipping for two of each. Not sure if they will ship to France.
They also have 2SC5171 and 2SA1930 (drivers) for $2 each.

Search

Thanks for the tip, for the outputs I salvaged some 2sa1095/2sc2565 which are a pair pioneer actually indicates as the best replacement and used on some of the latest sa-7800 so I'm good on the outputs. It has only 2 per channel so no need to change anything. I was looking for those drivers though and mouser is out of stock for the 2sc5171 so that's great :D

I've seen "repairs" that would make you cry. It amazes me what some places get away with.

Talking about bad repairs : I bought this Marantz 1120 from a shop that said it had been restored to new, this is what I found, power amp board was not original and was just a mix of different transistors, no pairs just random transistors close to original specs, tracks were gone on other boards, to-3 outputs were two different pairs from 4 different brands, anyway I'm trying to get it back to original, still looking for the power amp board... DSC_3331-2.jpg

DSC_3357-2.jpg

DSC_3380-2.jpg

I have no idea, I went back to ask them when I saw this and they couldn't tell (or didn't want to, they seemed surprised that I even opened it). Anyway, got the power supply back to original and the preamp is working great now that I removed all the junk so I just need to find that board and than get the original parts (I already have the original outputs : 4 sj2519).
But let's not get on a side track, I will order the drivers and let you know how it goes with the SA-7800

Bad news : when I first changed the drivers I took some that I had taken out of an other pioneer amp and as I said the sa-7800 worked fine, I decided though to replace them with the drivers you guys suggested (2sa1930/2sc5171) because the ones I put in had been in an amp with output problems so I didn't trust them too much. Now I'm exactly back to square one, got the exact same hum coming through the headphones and the exact same signal on both outputs : WP_20160520_002.jpg WP_20160520_005.jpg and power supply rails : WP_20160520_009.jpg :mad:

I could just go and test the 2sk34 again but I feel there's no point if I don't know why it keeps going in circles.

just put IRFP240 , 9240 into sx 780 with minor changes. works perfectly
I am thinking of upgrading my sx-3700 as well
That Marantz is going to require alot of work. you could just builb a Honey Badger amp ,detailed in another thread, and put it in the case.
It looks like a ground may be bad.
check the offset, the input to the amp , the VAS stage voltages etc.
it could be a bad connection or bad transistor in the input stage

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip but I don't think the drivers are the problem (not any more at least). When I just take random reading with the oscilloscope I got the first image everywhere on the positive side and the second on the negative side except for everything that comes from the power supply. Bias and offset are good, I changed the dual transistors with matched ksa992 (for the 2sa979) and ksa1845 (for the 2sc2291) which got offset down by 10mv, and did all the solder joints. I will check the voltages tomorrow. What is strange is that this is exactly the same symptoms as in the beginning

Yes it definitely is. I would really love to get it back to original, but I might keep this idea as a last resort.

I checked all the voltages in the main amp stage and they are all good. A little correction the first reading on the oscilloscope is on one channel and the second on the other channel not negative and positive side of the same channel. I had the good idea at some point to disconnect the power to the equalizer stage and the problem was gone. As the signal is about 55hz I first checked all the ground connections but they're all good and the stage itself seems to work fine and the voltages are good on the transistors.

Well, I tested the amp without the dim bulb and... hum is completely gone, all voltages are perfect and the amp sounds amazing. I Actually have another SA-7800 here that works perfectly and I turned it on with the dim bulb and guess what, got exactly the same hum and same reading on the oscilloscope. I got a 100W bulb that only lights very slightly with the amp idling, strange this has so much impact.

Anyway here are some pics of the finished amp, love it !!!

DSC_6339.jpg

DSC_6347.jpg

DSC_6362.jpg

Reactions: 1 user