Pioneer PD-65 Schem & Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pioneer PD-65 Schem & Mods

Hi there,

does anyone have the schematic for a Pioneer PD-65 (1994)?

I need to get specs for the transformers so I can convert the unit from 110V to 240V. There is an off-chance this may be a lost cause as they may be non-standard but I'm willing to try.

Does anyone have recommendations on modifications while the iron is hot?

Many thanks,

Richard

Hi Jean-Paul,

thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to open the box again to check the part number.

I think you are right though as there were no other taps/leads on the primary side.

There are actually two transformers as this was a special player with power supplies built into each of the transport and DAC boards. I was hoping the transformers were some standard and I would find a replacement for them with equivalent voltage taps on the secondary side.

I guess not.

Thanks again,

Richard.

JP,

I finally had a chance to open the case. My wife and I have a 7mth old son and he takes a lot of time. I can only do these things when he is asleep.

Anyway the transformers are indeed Bandos but they are as follows:

Transport - PTT1206
DAC - PTT1166

I took pics if you want to see inside.

I'll try and find these on the web now. You've given me the inspiration!!

Thanks man,

Richard.

This may help, it's from a PD77 and PD75 similar vintage to your PD65.

Cheers George

Attachments

• pd77 pd75 power transformer 3.gif
    pd77 pd75 power transformer 3.gif
    71.8 KB · Views: 401
George,

thanks for the circuit diagram. Unfortunately this is not the same as the PD-65. Mine is a US model. I bought it in Palo Alto. The equivalent global model is a PD-95 according to the manual. The US model has two transformers each with primary windings for 110V only presumably so as to pass FCC UL regs.

Thanks again.

Richard.

Another approach is to use a small autotransformer, 230V/115V. Connect the two power transformers in series, and the centertap of the autotransformer connects to the series connection. The autotransformer connects to the mains. The autotransformer handles the difference current between one of the transformers demands more current than the other. The autotransformer can be a small one. It could be a filament transformer or such that has a pair pf primary windings 115/230.

:att'n: One important thing to worry about is will the 115V transformers handle 50Hz? :att'n: For the same voltage lower line frequencies require larger cores. A test to run would be to operate the equipment on an external voltage converter transformer, and see if the internal power transformers get hot. If they stay cool, you'd be fine, good to go.

I just called Pioneer and they told me that the trannies are in stock in Japan. Prices are not cheap though:

Transport tranny - 45 euro
DAC tranny - 35 euro

They would need a deposit before placing the order from Japan and it will take about 2-3 weeks for the trannies to arrive in Singapore.

My suggestion is that you get the transport tranny and use toroids from Farnel for the dac tranny.

Hi guys,

thanks for all the advice and especially to Ruach for finding out the cost of spares. Right now I use a toroidal 240/110V step down transformer and I suspect that this chokes the sound a bit.

The cost of new Bando's from Japan seems a lot until you compare against UK prices. My 240/100V trannie costed about the same as the two Bando's together!!!

Well, I just bought and read this months HiFi World article on the new Quad CDP-2, 99 and 909 and showed it to my wife just 30mins ago. Amazingly, she knowing how I'm such a Quad fan, reckons that if I don't take paternity leave I should buy it for my birthday!!

Damn!! Problem solved...

Thanks again everyone.

R.

The Pioneer PD-65 (or PD-S901) is a nice sounding cd player with a good transport. Don't junk it. You can try to bid for similar players in Ebay Germany for parts.

I would expect the same trannies to cost more in UK and than in Singapore - the cost of living in UK is much higher as compared to Singapore. I had to eat fast food everyday and walk from point A to point B (instead of taking the tube) when I was in London for my holidays last year. London is a beautiful city though.

If you need the trannies, just drop me an email :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.