Pioneer PD-106 : CD which does not turn systematically

Hi there,

I need your suggestions please. It's a curious failure, at least for me.

DSC_2368.JPG

Most of the time, we insert a disc (in perfect condition) and it fits correctly in its slot.
The disk does not turn, we hear the actuator click while it makes several movements, then nothing and the display indicates zeros.

We eject the trapdoor and its disk several times AND! the disc starts to spin, the Toc is read immediately.
We insist on the "read" button, the actuator clicks once, the disc does not turn.

We take the disc out several times, but this time we press the “play” button directly.
At some point, reading will start !
The entire disc can be played perfectly, without skipping. You can skip back and forth between tracks, change tracks at will !

As soon as you stop the disk, it will not restart. We eject the disc several times and wait for the next reading ! :alien:

Notes :

• The central motor has been checked with an external power supply and is working well. I added a drop of oil to the axle.
  • I looked at the cable connections to the motherboard, but no false contact
  • Using the multimeter on the central motor connector of the motherboard, I have between 4 and 2 volts when the disk is spinning. No voltage when the disk is not spinning.
  • Belts have been checked, no problem.
  • I also noticed that the LA6520 (ic202) is hot when the second one is cold (there are two on this card)
  • The control panel is not the cause, we see the actuator move with each selection.
  • There is nothing visually suspicious about the electronic components.

DSC_2359.JPG

- The soldering under the card was bad originally. it is poor in tin and under the soldering iron, the component legs refuse to solder.
We see in this photo the difficulty :

DSC_2463.jpg

I reworked a majority of solders correctly and even on the chips
A view of the entire board :

DSC_2464.jpg

- I also looked under the optical unit. Maybe a problem with the cms capacitors?
I didn't see anything special on the weld side.

DSC_2465.jpg

- I then saw that the rubber suspensions of the chassis were all dead !

DSC_2466.jpg

- I temporarily replaced these suspensions with plumbing washers on hand I had. No improvement.
In any case, even if the chassis is poorly suspended or crooked, the spindle remains aligned on its common chassis facing the optics.
isn't it ?
(and the CD did not rub when turning)

DSC_2470.jpg

It's only with the revision of the soldering of the board that I find the best. The disc is read once in five, instead of once in 15.

I find it hard to question the optics since when the reader works, it works perfectly.
It's a PEA1335, unobtainable or overpriced !

What can I do now ? Can you help me please ?

Doc here : https://elektrotanya.com/pioneer_pd-106_sm.pdf/download.html

Hello and thank you.

New weldings have improved operation, I was actually thinking of going back and doing them all.
The ones you circled in red at the top right are freshly redone on my photo.

Near the metal bracket of the transformer at the top, you surrounded this part with resistors.
I wondered why the backélite had turned brown. Maybe a sign?
(it's near the La6520 very hot)

I started to check all the capacitors,
I can also look at the transistors and those famous resistors in bakélite brown.

I'm thinking of coming back this Friday to this work.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Some news.
All welds have been reviewed. I had to scratch each component tab for the solder to set.
I also checked numerous capacitors and resistors without finding anything suspicious.
No change !

The actuator is noisy during the disk search phases before it turns.
The ray is also virtually invisible to the camera when the disc is played. Curious, no?