Pioneer GM 120

location of the blue wire?

anatech said:
Hi Marc,
Sticking a 1K resistor between blue and ground should turn the amplifier on. The 1K draws enough current to trigger the amp on. The most common fault with this circuit are blown traces and shorted e-b on the current sense transistor.

-Chris

Hi Chris,
I have been reading the posts on the GM-120 and I would like to thank everyone for their input.

I would like to use my old GM-120 with a non component cd player (i'm looking at possibly the new Pioneer DEH-P3900MP) . I have not been able to get the amp to power up without an original Pioneer component. What you have mentioned above sounds like this might be what is causing the issue. I was looking inside of my amp today and I was wondering if you could help me locate where to connect the 1K resistor to GND (I see at least 3 blue wire locations inside)

Sorry for digging up a really old post and any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
Without the original documentation to go by, I don't think I can help you. About 20 years ago (maybe more) I built a breakout box for the GM series amps. I could trigger and run signals to and from headunits and amps. The amp input level is about 20 dB below normal signal levels (go figure - in a car no less!). You will therefore have to attenuate your signals by 20 dB. You need to amplify an old head unit by a similar amount to get useable volume out of them.

A shematic showing the old plug and turn on circuit would tell you how to do this. Watch out because the amp supplied the head unit with power.

-Chris

gm-201

hi every one!
I have a similar problem with a pioneer gm-201, I cannot turn it on, can any one help me.
I don't have any wires on the amplifier, but, on the pcb it say, on the big connector acc + backup illum gnd and of course the out puts, and on the 8 small connector mute, in L, in R, swd b+,unswd B+, illum this is the conector that gives me problems.

dangus said:
I'm pretty sure I have the complete GM120 service manual someplace. Contact me if you're desperate for more info, and I'll look for it. I may also have something for the GM40.

Hi Dangus,
I am also very interested in that. Can you email me please the service manual for the GM120 to my email address h DOT juhnke AT saeuferleber DOT de
Thanks!

Cheers
Timo