Pioneer A88-x with Bad Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Lifting the feedback return is forcing the amplifier to run at unity gain (gain of 1) and in that situation its pretty much guaranteed that any amp of this kind of topology would oscillate.

Increasing the combined value of C11/13 might also provoke oscillation.

Hi everyone. Sorry I missed these last couple of posts. Things have been going fine for past month. Even had a pair of Pioneer HPM-100s cranked up half way Friday night. All good. Then last night power up and within 10 seconds I hear relay click and left channel cut out. Same as before. So I'll have a look at the ground you mentioned. Start taking measurements and report back. It may be a couple of days before I can get to it though.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
No DC current flows through those resistors as they are part of a series R/C network which means each end of a given resistor will have the same voltage as the other end. The actual voltage is the same as the speaker output because that is where they connect.

The fluctuation is normal and will be caused by a couple of things such as slight noise/hash which 'confuses' many meters. The DC offset will also vary very slightly (and quickly as opposed to slow thermal drift) as the mains varies which in turn causes the rails vary.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:) Dare is say that these are the kind of faults that separate the really first class techs from the also rans :D

You need to get creative in recreating the issue. Solder leads to the amp output and connect those to a scope (there can be no room for the slightest intermitent flaky connection to test gear). Do the same to any leads to the DVM. Gently poke prod and tap around the board, and do this on each component if need be. Also waggle leads one at a time. If you think its heat related then use freezer one drip at a time on suspect board areas/components all the time watching that scope trace. You need football eyes :D home and away. One eye on what you are doing, the other on the scope. Did it blink, let alone flicker. Don't give up, be like a dog with a bone... its personal now between you and the amp. And its not going to get the better of you. If all that is inconclusive (and it happens) then you need to go over the fault mentally again. Can you rule out certain areas ? If it still played up with the volume on minimum then its a fair bet the preamp can be overlooked at this moment. Go over every single joint with the iron, does the solder take to the leads or have any oxidised badly ? Are all the leads actually pushed through the board and making it through to the other side. Give any plug/sockets a thorough going over. Crimped connections can be intermittent, the plug/socket interface poor due to contacts losing spring tension.

Don't give up though. Once this point is reached it really does become a personal challenge.

Well, I haven't tried slamming it on my bench, but I did finally look over things some more last night. With the amp on and meter leads connected to left channel speaker out I was seeing 7.4mV. No issues. I proceeded to tap around on all boards and where various leads connect to each board, trying to get a response using an insulated probe. Tried tapping just about every solder point (except on the main power supply board and ps caps), protection relays, RCA inputs, everything. No response.

I don't have a scope, still looking to borrow one from a friend who has one tucked away somewhere in his garage. Using the freeze spray is a bit tricky with this amp as all of the boards have bottom sides facing outward, components are on internal sides that are not easily accessible.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Using the freeze spray is a bit tricky with this amp as all of the boards have bottom sides facing outward, components are on internal sides that are not easily accessible.

That's not necessarily a disadvantage as long as you know the component layout. A few drips of freezer chilling the joints will conduct almost instantly into the device. So worth trying still.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.