Pioneer 8" BOFU BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>>> The price was right...

They may be the only ones in existence! I would sand the rough spots smooth, paint or stain to finish them off and build a 'box' or removable baffle to mount on the front suitable to try different 8" drivers. I'd smuggle in anything from Fostex, AN and the new TB 8" is lovely and all may offer an upgrade to the B20 + tweeter. Mdf be damned... i'd find a way to keep the Hedlunds.

Godzilla

>>> The price was right...

They may be the only ones in existence! I would sand the rough spots smooth, paint or stain to finish them off and build a 'box' or removable baffle to mount on the front suitable to try different 8" drivers. I'd smuggle in anything from Fostex, AN and the new TB 8" is lovely and all may offer an upgrade to the B20 + tweeter. Mdf be damned... i'd find a way to keep the Hedlunds.

Godzilla

the front plates are just as you say. they are only screwed into the original cabs and easily removable. i'm considering refinishing as a winter project. too many outdoor summer ones now.

i tried the piezo tweets today w/out the L-pad. even with 20 ohms and 3.3 mfd caps, they are way too hot for me!

so i put some old epi inverted (or non-inverted depending upon one's perspective) tweets in using the 3.3 mfd ~ 10kc. this is a better mix. very spacious and open sounding with strong bass.

>>> i tried the piezo tweets today w/out the L-pad. even with 20 ohms and 3.3 mfd caps, they are way too hot for me!

Yes, tooooo hot that would be. Try again if you feel so inclined using 1.0uf and work up or down in small increments if you like the sound. I'm sure the EPI tweets are also good.

oops... didn't use the 3.3 - 2.2 instead. had .47 but no 1 mfd.

>>> i tried the piezo tweets today w/out the L-pad. even with 20 ohms and 3.3 mfd caps, they are way too hot for me!

Yes, tooooo hot that would be. Try again if you feel so inclined using 1.0uf and work up or down in small increments if you like the sound. I'm sure the EPI tweets are also good.

didn't do anything but a test setup here but added another 2.2 uf in series and put the L-pads in the loop. should be 1.1 or so.

with the pads turned off and then on to just where sound emits from the tweeters is the right level for the piezos? wow, that's some sazzle/frazzle!

wonder if the below is a better one?

3-1/2" Wide Dispersion Piezo Horn Tweeter Square | Parts-Express.com

Hi there GM: In post #121 above, you proposed an alternative reduced volume BIB for the Pioneed BU driver, 12cf. While the graph indicates a lowered gain, the proposed partially blocked terminus also smooths the response curve over a signifiquent bandwidth. To me, smoothing would be a good result and for a "smaller" room. How do we determine (or calculate) the amount of the terminus (Sm) to block with a port? ...regards, Michael

Dunno, you'll have to get MJK or someone else that knows how to calculate it mathematically. When I did my reflex BIBs, I tuned them manually same as any other reflex since simple reflex formulas were way off on any column/tower/pipe/horn (aka MLTL/MLTQWT/MLhorn) design I did WRT vent area, length plus I would critically damp the vent as required to limit its duct/pipe harmonic's 'ringing', though if I build any more I'll just use MJK's software to calculate it since it's accurate enough based on a few old designs I still have my scribblings on.

GM

Here is the Pioneer BOFU 8" driver

If you ignore the "2" in the model # you can see how it got its name ;)

Man!! that tweeter is great with the Pioneer!! I tried other values for the crossover cap (1.75uF, 2.25 uF , etc.) and 2.0uF is spot on for my room!

did u actually build the BIB with BOFU and the tweeter combo? Any chance of pic? I saw the video and far shot...

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
did u actually build the BIB with BOFU and the tweeter combo? Any chance of pic? I saw the video and far shot...

Yes I built a pair, then had "Speaker Camp" where anyone who wanted to could pay $120 help build them, and get a pair.

We made 10 pair- My 2 brothers, bro in law, and son all have them! Fun to see the BIBs at their places when I visit..

That isn't a plus. Probably better than 3/4" MDF, but not as good as 18mm ply. And bloody heavy.
dave

Thanks for all the wonderful information!
After reading this thread I have decided to make a set of these. I have the possibility of using 19mm MDF or 19mm 'blockboard' ('blocks' of wood sandwiched between veneer).
Could someone please explain what would be better - and why?

Also, I am in Australia and have not been able to source the Parts Express tweeter here. Can anyone suggest an item that is available in Oz? If not I will order from Parts Xpress and wait...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Without seeing the quality of the blockboard hard to say, but at a guess i'd use it ... that is the same kind of construction as the bamboo plywood which is amoungst the very best sheet material.

This is a better tweeter, with savings in shipping likely similar cost Mark Audio Tweeter No. 3 - No Logo - PAIR

Do you have a set of BOFU already?

dave

Thanks for your quick reply Dave, together with all the other information that you have presented here - without which I wouldn't have got 'hooked' into a BIB project!
I have just bought a set of BOFU's off eBay and will buy the tweeters you recommended. A customer with a woodworking shop has offered to make the speakers - I will now check that he is okay with using blockboard.
Planning to use these in a mid size room with 12 ft high ceilings.
Will report back as to how it all goes in a few weeks. Thanks again! Lloyd

Having recently built the Pass Amp Camp Amplifier (ACA) I got interested in building a BOFU in BiB. The original Pioneer BOFU has been discontinued but Parts Express quotes the GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW as a substitute http://http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=292-430

Has anybody tested and tried it? Is it a worthy successor to the original BOFU?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.