Pioneer 8" B20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of rectangular frame double piezos (can't remember the brand or model number) that might work, or maybe a tweeter in the 94 db/watt range.

You're welcome!

You mean this 'bad boy'? If so, not a good plan IME unless you sit very far away since you can't get their acoustic centers close enough.

FWIW, I used this one. With the B20s butted up against each other, its square corner slides right in the gap and can be ground to a custom fit if desired, so mirror image baffles with them oriented to the outside and toe'd in is my plan: Orange County Speaker Repair - GLS Audio Wholesale: Piezo KSN1005 3.375" Square Tweeter

GM

With the sale on these guys, I was considering picking up 4 and doing a pair of OBs in SDA configuration, probably using my existing Dayton RS100s as supertweeters because A) I have them already so the cost is 0, B) they still have the best top end to my ears of every speaker I've ever heard (probably says something about my ears, but I do own a pair of B&G Neo3PDRs for direct comparison) and C) I couldn't stand them lying fallow since they've been working so well for me for the past couple years (is it wrong to be sentimental about great drivers?).

dave,
My pair of full P10ed B20s are still my livingroom mains. The only things that have changed are improved amplification, sources and new-ish flat panel has brought the video up at least into the same league as the sound ;-p Thanks again for that.

Kensai

Thanks Dave, I bet that would work well on the underside of an aluminum platter as well !
I have read about your puzzlecoat treatments. Very cool indeed.
Still enjoying my Thors. Thank you for your efforts.

Pit, thanks for the clue to the inside joke, from your avatar it looks like you lost the hair battle long ago. LOL.

ChrisB, I'm not even going to think about that last post.............bbrrrhhhh

Those "horns" will no doubt have to be padded down quite a bit, the link to OC speakers doesn't list the dB rating. Guess it's close to or over 100.

Ron

Ron,

driving a weak tweeter to its limits is bovine manure, damping a loud one down means you have enough headroom to get it linear without it losing its punch.
As to my avatar (and that´s not me, I´m uglier)...I think that was a dialogue between Godzilla and his youngest...

"Dad, what´s worng with that man?"
"Don´t mind, he´s German."
"Poor boy."

I rest my case.:D

Ron,
I think that was a dialogue between Godzilla and his youngest...

"Dad, what´s worng with that man?"
"Don´t mind, he´s German."
"Poor boy."

I rest my case.:D

LMAO !!!!

Ron

Attachments

• SOG.jpg
    SOG.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 234
OK. B20s are ordered. The "double BOFU" idea might be a bit large for my friend's living room (especially since I haven't actually told him that he is getting new speakers ;) So for now I am planning the single BOFU. The plywood is waiting. I just had my Forrest Woodworker II table saw blade sharpened and haven't used it yet. Thinking about putting the double piezo in a separate box on top of the cabinet for a tweeter. Now all I need is a bottle of glue and someone to do my job at work for me for a week so I can build speakers!

Hi Pit, yes, an old boys meeting. My B20's plus piezo's still serve me well... must be 10 years now? I've lost count.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/pioneerb20-piezo.htm

Ron, thanks for posting that pic! Made me smile real big! That's me an my boy. Funny thing is today i was called for Jury Duty and sent home early (only to have to come back tomorrow 8:30am grrrr!) and stopped at Toys R Us to purchase a Megagodzilla for my son's (cough!) collection. I also ordered a 12" Gigan that was not in stock... and a great red yoyo that's on my desk now... Mrs. Godzilla is going to kill me!

Decker, that's very nice of you to do that for your friend! The piezo on top in a separate box will work great. Without having to mess with an Lpad i would suggest an 8ohm resistor across and a .33uf capacitor on the +

This may reduce the tweeter output enough but still allow you to hear it as it rolls into the B20... if it's too soft in volume try a .47uf cap and see how you like it. Keep us posted on your project!

Zilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.