• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ping Sy: LED for Cathode Bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I simply put the zeners in place of Rk. I strung together 6 zeners for 33.6V. At 120mA this was going to give a little more than 2/3W dissipation per device. This would be OK for my 1W devices, but I like to give zeners a little room, hence the second string in parallel.

The zener string's cathode goes to the triodes cathode and the anode goes to ground. The bypass cap is connected like a typical CRk. Without the cap, the amp is quite useable but it has a little background hash, and a few small pops and crackles from time to time.

I use a Wima MKP at present and it does well. I plan to play with maybe a larger value film and a small low esr bypass, but I've been too busy listening :D

There was some talk on another thread about wrapping the zener with a transistor. I don't have access to it at the minute and haven't tried it yet but will post if interested.

Ryssen said:
Yes,but I wonder if noise will be higher on LED´s with just 7mA trough them,or if the minimum usable is 10mA?

Even with the highest gain triodes (CCS loaded 6C45PE @ ~4 Vdc on the cathode, 5 ma current) series LEDs never brought the noise floor above the 24-bit limit of my test kit, about 130 dB below 1 volt. I can't see how LEDs could inject enough noise into the cathode of a tube with a quarter the gain like a 76 to approach the limits of any contemporary audio storage system.

Here's an excerpt from Morgan Jones' 'Valve Amplifiers' third edition about LED forward drop at 10mA (! coincidence?) and typical Ra:

cheap red led = 1.7V @ 4.3ohms

cheap yellow yellow/green led = 2.0V @ 10ohms

true green led (525nm) = 3.6V @ 30ohms

blue led (426nm) = 3.7V @ 26ohms

ez81 and ez80 diodes are also featured but have much higher Ra (about 200 and 500ohms)

Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.