Pictures -- Why Not attach Them ??

Sorry Jim, you're wrong on this one. :no: If you had read the thread, you'd understand why.

Your example, however, is the exception. It's a well done, small GIF that is easy for just about anybody to view. The vast majority of images posted to the forum are NOT like that.

Yes, some forums do, and it's frustrating. This forum does not, as has been shown numerous time in this thread a throughout diyAudio.

And your example still does not solve the problem of disappearing images, which has been a big problem here.

Ha ha ha. The images of JMFahey's post that you refer to are gone. Both. Kinda proves your point. Interesting though that the first, presumably of schematics hosted on DIYAudio, show a question mark image whereas the imageshack link just brings up a 404 error. Love to know what the question mark image is all about.

Contrarian Viewpoint

If you're planning on profiling a complete build with lots of pics then a photo site seems the most logical way to go. My first amp I put up on Photobucket and since the folder is public, by golly the link still works - 5 years later! For just a few pics, posting them in a thread is fine and I do it all the time. But there's nothing wrong in posting a total build project on a site with public access so everyone can view. And you can use that site link on other websites, email, threads in other sites, etc. It just makes sense. :)

I only recently learned how to easily attach images in-line using the forum software. I had no idea it was so easy, and those images should hopefully remain.
How is it done? Whenever I've tried to 'insert' a large pic, the software come up and wants an http: address. Almost begging for a link. :confused: I generally just go back to just attaching them as thumbnails. How do you add an image in-line with the text?

Rick

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Like this:

1/ Go 'advanced' with the reply option and then click the paper clip symbol.

2/ That's opens the normal attachment window. Attach all your images as normal so that they would be thumbnails.

3/ Now click the paper clip symbol again and all attached images will be listed. The pictures are clickable and will expand.

Test2.jpg

Put text wherever you want.

Capture2.JPG

:D

Capture5.JPG

And so on.

Capture6.JPG

You can move the above individually to anywhere in your post you want them to appear.

Post #3 here is another method. This allows pictures to appear in line and at a larger size but its more messy. Having said that, its similar to uploading them to an external site.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/foru...cs-script-paragraphs-between.html#post4126045

This is a test.

P1120413.jpg

Still not full size. :confused: How do you get a large sized pic in the body of the message? I use a slightly different method than yours above, but this is what I've always done to attach pics and they all stay thumbnail size. :( Is there an option setting or something that must be enabled to get full-sized pics?

Rick

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

this.

Seeing what this does.

and this one,

P1120413.jpg

So that's using the diyAudio gallery as outlined above. They are not clickable though. It took me around a minute to add them and put up the links. You can still attach normal clickable thumbnails as well.

Attachments

• P1120413.jpg
    P1120413.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 117
I guess they get the point across, but the level of detail I like to present is far greater than those you posted/converted. Seems the clickable ones are the way to go, because you get both a thumbnail for basics, and when clicked you get the picture in all its gory detail. :) You can't even read the 'Original design by Lazy Cat' text in the lower right. That's what I wanted everyone to see and be able to read! :)

BTW, you made no mention of the 'gallery' in your earlier post. I followed your instructions to the T and still only got the clickable thumbnails. What's the http link required when you click on the Insert Image icon?

I guess they get the point across, but the level of detail I like to present is far greater than those you posted/converted. Seems the clickable ones are the way to go, because you get both a thumbnail for basics, and when clicked you get the picture in all its gory detail. :) You can't even read the 'Original design by Lazy Cat' text in the lower right. That's what I wanted everyone to see and be able to read! :)

BTW, you made no mention of the 'gallery' in your earlier post. I followed your instructions to the T and still only got the clickable thumbnails. What's the http link required when you click on the Insert Image icon?

Just to clarify, I CAN read the Lazy Cat text loud and clear on my 13" Mac laptop screen, both on your image in post #90, which is HUGE, and in Mooly's 4th photo in post #91. You wrote "you can't even read..." So in case you really mean't you CAN NOT read it, maybe there's a setting on your browser that is getting in the way?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I CAN read the Lazy Cat text loud and clear on my 13" Mac laptop screen, both on your image in post #90, which is HUGE, and in Mooly's 4th photo in post #91. You wrote "you can't even read..." So in case you really mean't you CAN NOT read it, maybe there's a setting on your browser that is getting in the way?

Of course you can see it in #90! That was my test following Mooly's steps 1-3. Didn't buy me anything. I know how to do that. :) Whether or not you can see it clearly in Mooly's post or not is moot. It just proves my point that whatever he did he scaled it way down from my original (or the forum software did it). Nothing wrong with my settings. It's just not at a resolution that does anything for me. Why should anybody have to struggle to see ANY image with the hi-res computer monitors (not to mention cameras) we have today. :D The images that grab my attention are the crystal clear ones with hi resolution.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't think you can get 'massive' inline images using the forums own software. The images (such as the one I grabbed off you) are saved correctly in the gallery but they don't transfer to a thread with the same size.

This is as good as I have been able to get with the forum software:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/226288-sony-cdp790-kss240-restoration-project.html

The BIG images you linked to are hosted externally but there is a problem as someone mentioned: (just go back from post #4501)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/96192-post-your-solid-state-pics-here.html#post4584305

The first time these are viewed on a lot of browsers, and they will push the margins way over to the side. These are to big and yet compared to some we actually see... well some are much much bigger than even these.

A cop out answer might be that 'hopefully' when we move to new forum software that this will be handled better.

This is a test.

View attachment 541691

Still not full size. :confused: How do you get a large sized pic in the body of the message? I use a slightly different method than yours above, but this is what I've always done to attach pics and they all stay thumbnail size. :( Is there an option setting or something that must be enabled to get full-sized pics?

Rick

Why would anyone want to post pictures larger than this ?????

If detail is required, then post another photo of the area concerned.

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And getting back to some of the original topic, this forum software does not handle photos very well. Until we go with a new platform, we're stuck with it.

Posting huge inline photos is rude and can be expensive. While many of us have fast connections and unlimited data, not everyone does. In fact many forum members do not. Posting 3 meg images inline is a real hassle for them. Attach it so that if they choose to see it zoomed up, they can. Don't be one of those guys who posts a dozen huge photos in one post that bogs down the whole page. :no: