Pictures & Report: '06 Vancouver Island diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Rega into... the Seduction into the Foreplay III with the SEX amp looking on

Attachments

• seduction-fp-sex.jpg
    seduction-fp-sex.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 460
Geek said:
AHHHHHH! You posted that retarded pic of me! :bawling:

Uhhh.... they weren't? :confused:

Here's some of the incredible detail that went into the speakers....

Thanks Gregg, too bad there's not picture of the smile on Jesse's face - they sounded right fine too - IM(ns)HO, the best driver yet for TomZ's PAWO design.
Can you imagine after being somewhat underwhelmed by another FR driver in these that we despaired over wasting the leftover laminated bamboo plywood?

Almost gets me thinking about building a pair of some kinda horns with the bamboo - but even at commerical wholesale its 10 times the cost of baltic birch, so it's probably prudent to nail down a "final" design :clown:

afterthought - would also make for some pretty bases for my new Paramours ...... hmm

chrisb said:

Thanks Gregg, too bad there's not picture of the smile on Jesse's face - they sounded right fine too - IM(ns)HO, the best driver yet for TomZ's PAWO design.
Can you imagine after being somewhat underwhelmed by another FR driver in these that we despaired over wasting the leftover laminated bamboo plywood?

Almost gets me thinking about building a pair of some kinda horns with the bamboo - but even at commerical wholesale its 10 times the cost of baltic birch, so it's probably prudent to nail down a "final" design :clown:

afterthought - would also make for some pretty bases for my new Paramours ...... hmm

Chris,
I agree with you, Jesse's pretty happy with those and who wouldn't be? As I noted before they sounded every bit as good as they looked. Kudos to all concerned. Your efforts were certainly a big factor in granting the "WOW! Award.
;)

As for the bamboo, have you consided a base for your "Scott" amp? I thought they sounded pretty good, but then I really liked the balcony venue and that may have played a part.

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:

Chris,
I agree with you, Jesse's pretty happy with those and who wouldn't be? As I noted before they sounded every bit as good as they looked. Kudos to all concerned. Your efforts were certainly a big factor in granting the "WOW! Award.
;)

As for the bamboo, have you consided a base for your "Scott" amp? I thought they sounded pretty good, but then I really liked the balcony venue and that may have played a part.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry, I must have it really bad, 'cause I've already been thinking about lining up enough projects to justify paying :hot: for a sheet of the bamboo plywood - and yes my cut plan would certainly include enough offcuts for bases for both the next Scott rebuild and a pair of the new Bottlehead Paramours - but I doubt anything could approach the conceptual and physical artistry of Jesse's Eagle Amp

but I doubt anything could approach the conceptual and physical artistry of Jesse's Eagle Amp

You guys are making me blush :xeye:

I had a wonderful time at the get-together... so fun to be amongst people as nuts about hifi as me (some even more!).

One of the best things, tho' - I had tried the 4766 chipamp previously and, despite the pretty cabinetwork, was not too impressed. On both a pair of Ohm-Fs and some Tannoy 635s it just didn't sing. So when we hooked it up at Dave's, I wasn't expecting much. Thoughts of 'maybe a couple of 3875s won't overheat the sink...'. However, when given the right speakers to drive, it just came alive. I might have dumped the circuit had it not been for the event, and missed a really good design. :cannotbe:

The PAWO's made it home without a scratch (thanks to Dave's terrific packing, and set up in my room they sound even better (to me.)

Great to meet everyone. Next year, you couldn't keep me away with a flamethrower.

Thanks all - especially Dave and Ruth.

Jess

I wish i had lent you guys 2 sets of mini a's I just finished a set of SMD mini a's working perfectly and to my ear so far sounding better than the through hole.

If i had them in a listening state i would have lent 2 mini aleph's smd & through hole. I am not a chip amp fan at all both peter's and brian gt's Yet i'm best friends with Brian Bell (chipamp.com ) owner i still prefer the Aleph's.

Any one want to see pictures of a demo setup of Aleph Smd's

JesseG said:

Great to meet everyone. Next year, you couldn't keep me away with a flamethrower.

And nice meeting you Jess!

I forgot to get your email from you. I didn't have as many parts we talked about as I thought.

jleaman said:
I wish i had lent you guys 2 sets of mini a's I just finished a set of SMD mini a's working perfectly and to my ear so far sounding better than the through hole.

That would have been nice. Next year :)

I thought Jesse's amp sounded pretty good, at least to these old ears. When he said they weren't all that great (before we hooked them up to the PAWO's) I was astounded when I heard them actually playing. I really had to wonder if my hearing was that bad:cannotbe:

Anyway, I feel better knowing that maybe it wasn't my hearing that was deceiving me, evidently others thought it sounded pretty good as well. A really nice job all the way around.

By the way, I'm going to try to get those pic's of the Turntable to Jesse and Greg this evening.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.