Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Looks very nice, did you use an old XA160.5 chassis to build a stereo amp in it? Heatsinks are not PassLabs...

No, its complete made from scratch, i just used original xa 160.5 dimensions. two channels of xa100.5 fit nicely in it (althought 80psc power fets left not much free space at heatsink base)
I like idea of stereo version (i think pass labs should release xa100.5 in stereo version -its quite good idea to ommit monoblocks in some spaces and still have powerfull amps) so fit both channels.
I also built a xa160.5 and a xa200.5 and the last one is really takes much spaces (because long depth) and are suited only in my biggest dedicated listening room (very bad WAF factor :( )

Pass Labs clones

Hi elviukai :)

I also built a xa160.5 and a xa200.5 and the last one is really takes much spaces (because long depth) and are suited only in my biggest dedicated listening room (very bad WAF factor
frown.gif
)
Me and a friend are building XA 160.5 clones. Do you have some pictures you can share with us ? We are trying to use 36 pairs of the output fets.

I have thread in a Norwegian forum, about building these amps: http://http://www.hifisentralen.no/...ygger-high-end-amplifiers-34.html#post1973918 It is in the middle of a long the thread, but I think you will get some info from it. Right now, we are designing new output-pcb´s for 18 pairs output-fets.

Do you have some pictures you can share of your amps ?

If yes, please mail them to: johnradi@halden.net

Best Regards
Johnny

Hi, Johny , what kind of photos do you need?

I believe there are two models of xa 160.5 160.5 and 160.5 MK2 the older ones used 56fets per channel and the mk2 72psc.

did you bought xa200.5? that would be expensive and very hard to resale later. xa100.5 is better option.

P.S. I got a bunch messages regarding schematics, and sorry but i cant share it sorry, its PL intelectual property. of current production amp. there can be found soem kind of schematics on the web for xa100.5. however when i comapred its schematic with real xa100.5 neither the power(even theoreticaly) neither schematics were close to xa100.5. Once i tried to build but amp even went to osscilations. So use those scheamtic with grain of salt. hope this helps.

Respect

Pass labs funds Nelson Passes' First Watt venture, the one we are all benefiting enormously from. While imatation is a form of flattery here in this form we respect Nelson's copyright and his Pass Labs " look". Creating ANY confusion about "copies" is bad for his business. He risks that a little for all our sakes. Please don't ever add to that risk.

Nelson does provide a sticker for his own kit material. To me that is the Only time to put "Pass Labs (DIY)" on anything You build. Yea, that's just proper respect.

It's CNC'd wood with automotive paint, looks cool huh?

You have got to be kiddin' !?! If it really is - hats down. Amazing workmanship.
Now I really want to hear about other construction details! Amp-meter? PSU? Soft start... I have what appears to be a very similar thin-wall heatsink profile so I'm very keen on best use advice - heat spreader, mounting of FETs etc. C'mon, give us a detailed build thread!

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

Joined 2006
Paid Member
There are many examples of wood fronted amps.
The aluminum front of cases can help with heat dispersion, but is not always needed to do so.
This is a much wallet and tool friendly way to reproduce an iconic case front.

Seems like I ran across some construction details. Well planned MDF pieces meticulously assembled and finished.

Very nicely done.

"irrational"

Clone a commercial product, even add the official logo (IP) of the manufacturer on the meter and the amp case, to make it look as close to original.

Do so by making a metal amp case, with machined solid aluminum side panels to hold the low-cost heatsink profiles, 12 per side.
Those have to be perfectly flat, for good thermal conductivity between heatsinks and heat spreader.
Add an aluminum bottom, aluminum back panel, even an aluminum top panel.
Because as posted, that can easily be cnc milled and engraved.
Then add a cnc-milled MDF front panel.

I do not have issues with wood.
MJL21193 is a professional carpenter, he built a power amplifier with an amp case entirely of wood.
The Canadian designed the circuitry himself, designed the amp case himself, built it himself.
MJL21193 even thought of placing lengths of aluminum pipe above the heatsinks, to create a chimney effect, he posted it worked flawless.

MJL21193 also built a power amp case, entirely out of scrap aluminum.
Even the heatsinks, scrap aluminum cover strips he collected from projects he worked on in his day job/company, stacked and bolted together.
The amp circuitry wasn't his, but he designed the amp case himself, built it himself.

Cloning an amp design which cost €20,000 in Europe, for which you have not been given permission by the IP owner, can be interpreted as striving for the best sound quality at home.

Building that design, in an amp case design of that same serial production series, without permission by the IP owner, can be interpreted as striving for the best quality at home.
At the lowest cost and with little respect for the one who came up with the amp circuitry and amp case design.

Cloned PL amp cases were done by DIYzone in Taiwan a decade ago, mass group buys.
A perfectly cloned PL amp case can be ordered straight out of China for a couple of hundred dollars, all-side solid aluminum and by a couple of emails.
An individual who strives for the best quality, with little to no respect for the designer, would assemble his unauthorised XA100.5 circuit in an IP theft cloned amp case.

A fetishist individual assembles it with anodised profile sawn-offs, bought from the rack in 20ft lengths.
Mounted on a machined aluminum heat spreader, with a cnc-milled and engraved top, and an MDF front.
As long as the amp case looks the part, which is irrational.

Doesn't bother me, each to his own.
Just a shame that posting images on the web will encourage even more into IP thievery.
Mr Pass shared his thoughts and designs for decades, in return he's the commercial amplifier designer/entrepeneur who gets most shafted in the rear.

(but what do I know, I'm a total idiot and a nutcase)

Last edited:
Here is my beasts :) stereo XA100.5 in XA160.5 enclosure. Wired in pure solid silver,Mundorf Cooper binding posts, cooper rhodium plated IEC sockets etc etc.

Differencies from stock xa.1005 - more beefy powersupply caps,added soft start circuit with 6000W relay, resetable fuse, standby circuit removed,as wel as gain jumper. Also added ability to use direct coupled input (ommiting input caps) when using internal jumpers, front dial circuit is also redesigned/simplified.

How those babies sounds? - one word- Awwwwesooooome!!! :cool:

Could you also show us pictures of your XA200.5 build? I am very curious to see what you have done for that one :p