Pictures of your amplifier's case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
carlmart said:

...And you're thinking of using this switch for muting? Sounds good, even if expensive perhaps for this Bulgin option.

The LM3886 also has a muting function, as well as the LM3876. I have heard many claims that this muting circuit is bad for the rest of the circuit. But I don't see quite why yet. Can anybody risk an opinion?

Halojoy has also raised the question that he doesn't quite believe that an inverted gainclone will necessarily sound better than a non-inverted, and I think I am with him.

We seem to be rejecting certain opinions from objectivists that raise measurements as THE LAW to be worshipped, but we are creating new idols apparently, with no tangible proof they do exist indeed.

About the inverted vs non-inverted question I've read reports from DIYers that built both and it was really a matter of preference, not audio quality.

And I'm afraid this muting option (which can be practical if used) became a new idol.

And idols are not something I really like...

Carlos

it's not a basic mute on the 7294, you have 2 pins, one for mute and onr for standby, that you can wire together

this places the amp in a doze mode, since the stdby pin can shut the power stage down (a mute only disconnects internally +in and -in)

edm said:
I already said they were expensive, farnell also stocks them but not the blue ones (yes they have them with a BLUE led, for all you blue led fetishists). From the top of my head i thought even a bit cheaper....

Yes. Was just putting an actual price on them so folks would know just what you meant by "expensive" seeing as some folks may have different ideas as to what constitutes "expensive."

se

Koy said:
Bricolo: he,he...
This is finger contact ( on/off). I made it of transparent plastic with stainless steel center. Plastic is illuminated by red/blue ( protection on/off) LEDs behind.
Lol, I planned on doing exactly the same :D. Before I saw your amp that is (well, I still plan on doing it, now that I know for sure it looks good ;)).

* Sorry for this useless reply *

This case became home to 4 new LM12 gainclones. Although its not much of a clone if it uses a different chip I guess. Anyway, the power op amps were already mounted and everything. I kept the power supply and the op amps. I used point to point wiring. I also added active crossovers for the bi-amping.

This picture might inspire you to do a good job!

Attachments

• ss270290.jpg
    ss270290.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,101
its been a year and a half in the making, and most of that is sourcing. we found people that were willing to help out or get us stuff for cheap. the metal was (gasp) free, and the metal working was pretty cheap (considering its perfect). the milling of the metal was like ~$100 per face plate. the cuts in the back and the vents on top were done free too. so far i have (in my two monoblocks) around $400 into the project. not too bad. i have transformers, connectors left to buy. i initially budgeted $1K for the entire project and its looking like ill be within budget by a $50 or so.

leo said:
Very impressive:eek: how much are we talking to make something like this

This is the current version of my poweramp:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2XTDA7294 bridged on heatshink, mixer and 10 channel EQ. The power supply is within another rack.

Here is the front
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

with the previous version of poweramp (this is a discreet mosfet poweramp but wasn't too good, the gainclone much better on the upper picture).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.