Picture Frame Speaker

I am in a situation where I have to built a very slim low profile picture frame speakers. It has to go on the wall, can’t go in wall. I found a speaker that checks all the boxes https://www.morelhifi.com/en/products/custom-integration/soundwall-30/soundwall-powerslim-series-42

I have a few dead ends I am hoping someone can clear up for me.

1. I am building a frame out of 1/2” high density MDF measuring H16” x W28” x D1.75”, which equates to .18 cu/ft

2. According to the speaker manufacturer the speaker must have .45 cu/ft

3. Can I built a port into a frame that can compensate for the difference of .27 cu/ft

4. The manufacturer also suggested stuffing the cabinet cavity with “pillow stuffing”. Will that help in any way?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You probably don’t want to make a speaker that skinny. Too much early reflection causing a muffled/cupped sound.

I will take a picture of jut uch a loudspeaker — just thinking today about dragging them down and putting new grill cloth on them.

A thicker loudpeaker also means you can use convential parts.

How loud do you need to play?

dave

If back channel sjust use a FR.

I expect teh Morels are pricey and a 3 way would be overkill.

dave
$600-660. Whuff.

You can try these for $25 each. Simply stick them on foam board off centered a bit, put some fiberglass in the frame, you’re done. You can even paint pictures on the foam board or have prints made. If you don’t like them then you can drop $1,200 on fancy speakers.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...erchangable-Hardware-Mount-295-274?quantity=1

1714722407149.png

BXFX SURROUND SPEAKERS​

Not sure how much protrusion into the room you are allowing but these from Monitor audio work really well. The tweeters are switchable in and out of phase for rear or side wall use.

I agree, $1200 is a lot. These are the only thinnest speakers I found with some impressive specs for their size

The most I can have the speaker produce is 2”.

I really want to build a two way speaker myself. I just can’t find the proper components. I’m not sure which tweeter, mid driver and crossover board to use for a sealed box.

Last edited: