• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pics of unique design of amp chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been making chassis out of a few feet of board and $6 of 1/8 aluminum plates for a bit now.

Here's cutting the box/apron:
Tube Amp Chassis for under $20 - Album on Imgur

And here's cutting top plates:
Cutting an aluminum tube amp top plate - Album on Imgur

The only power tool required is a drill.

Couple of the amps:

Finish is Danish Oil on both of those. The above method is a little time consuming (miter cuts, gluing, finishing) but it costs maybe $20 a chassis total and they come out looking nice.

I just got a power miter saw and I'm planning on trying a more precise inset plate for the next batch of amps.

What wood is that first amp? It is beautiful.

I built this one with a cheap tube cutter and a soldering torch.

You got it, brother! Sculpture is lacking in this hobby but it doesn't have to be that way. These things can be 3 dimensional. They don't have to be all boxes, neat and uniform, plain, and flat sided. I'm worling on an Art Deco chassis, on paper at the moment. I had one idea of using copper tubing construction with 5 or 6 stacked squares for the perimeter. Great job!

You got it, brother! Sculpture is lacking in this hobby but it doesn't have to be that way. These things can be 3 dimensional. They don't have to be all boxes, neat and uniform, plain, and flat sided. I'm worling on an Art Deco chassis, on paper at the moment. I had one idea of using copper tubing construction with 5 or 6 stacked squares for the perimeter. Great job!

You bet. It can be a piece of art. Here is my TT and phono stage.

Attachments

• IMG_3134.jpg
    IMG_3134.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4240.jpg
    IMG_4240.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 158
The pre is made from a piece of marble I carved and polished. I had to drill 64 holes in it. I used a calculator from the vinyl engine website to get the geometry for the tone arm which is an old Black Widow gimble with a carbon fiber wand and the head shell is made from a aluminum bolt, all totally 12" length.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.