pics of my diy-proj : clone krell-ksa100mkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
go on

Attachments

• 200610122040090311.jpg
    200610122040090311.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 641
The Krell KMA100 with the regulated driver power supply was FAR BETTER SOUNDING than the KSA100 MK II or the KSA50 in my systems. Dan at Krell even stated this preference, and used the KMA100 to drive his Apogees.

If you ever redesign your PCB for a second group buy, you may want to use radial capacitors in the center section and used the saved area to include the regulated power supply for the driver. This would give you a single super PCB. The signal integrity of a single PCB should also allow you to use newer, higher frequency bipolar outputs like the latest On-Semi MJL3281A and MJL1302A

Take the power supply section from the KSA-80 thread on this website and adjust the raw supply and zeners to run the KSA-100 main board and driver stage.

gbyleveldt said:
Thank you! It might very well be worth it going for a circuit like this. I figure if you going to put in the effort, you can just as well do it properly!

Glad this regulator schematic is more readable. I have build regulators similar to this, but some simulation is very necessary before committing to PCB.

I agree 100%... It seems a waste of time and money not to work toward the best technical solutions. I favor the signal integrity value of a single PCB, as the PCB is a small portion of the total cost.

This group may also want to design a packaging arrangement to help the beginner. I purchased a few KL-271 heatsinks and developed one package and PCB format for all my amps to simplify life.

Attachments

• kl-271_hs.jpg
    kl-271_hs.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 420
Nice heatsink, problem is it will be VERY expensive shipping that anyware else but the States... :bigeyes:

I found something similar from Fisher, just the fins are 40mm instead of 80mm.

I prefer the idea of one PCB for the whole amp as well. I can't stand output trannies connected by wire all over the show!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.