Picking a loud class D amp for 5volts...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, i've been playing alot with a breadboard etc and finally i feel confident enough to actually start looking at the more decent parts shall we say? So this is the idea,

I've already built the dock :D currently running on a pam IC and is pretty loud as it stands! but the Pam can only provide 3w on each channel, i already know its possible for more (beats pill is a prime example) so i decided i might as well look into building a more powerfull amp right?

So this is what i want to be able to make, a amp that runs on 5v and provides 6watts of power to the speakers.

A few things, if i could buy a pre made board i probs would but i still want to attempt making one!

Something i feel i should ask is a pre amp, what is this for? why does the beats pill have it before its actual amp ic? Is this something that helps with clearer sound?

Thanks!

Devices like the Pill have DSP optimized for the hardware. Not an easy thing to accomplish for a DIYer.

DSP optimized for the hardware? No idea what that is will have to google it..

You should use a Step-Up Voltage Regulator.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2571

Hm...so i could get that and provide my dock with more power.....:D

Is there many types of these? Have you experience with them at all? like are they safe, will they do okay in a sealed box etc? Also...if you know, am i able to make this myself?

Information noted, however i want to pick your brains some more, although i have already bought a 5v to 9v step-up voltage regulator i'd like to at least try to build one!

So if you follow said link...

Search step-up voltage regulator | Maplin

Can you suggest one which would work? unfortunately i do not have the knowledge to know which one to pick or how to actually make it output 9v from a 5v line! so if you could link me (or even draw up) a schematic that would be pretty awesome :D

Hi Stormrazr. Have a rummage around the boominator thread. It's very informative.

5V USB isn't enough to do anything worthwhile apart from charge something which has higher voltage batteries, equalisation and all the other things mentioned above (which I also don't fully understand, but seems to work).

The TPA 3116 threads are also worth a read.

i only really want a few more watts, to be honest it is actually really loud, so using a 2800ma li-ion/li-poly (i cannot remember exactly which one it is) just to allow that little bit extra is all i need :D and yes the output is 2amps or ma...the current i mean o_O

The exponential response to sound pressure by the ear, is the reason why the first 2 Watts sound a lot louder then the second 2 Watts, in fact it is just 3dB difference which is the deviation that is regarded as "flat" when a speaker is measured for frequency response.
And remember that what you are listening to isn't measured in electric watts but deciBel, so if you want more 'volume' get more sensitive speakers, or more speakers (P=V²/R)
If that isn't possible then get more volt which as the equation shows is a lot more fruitful.

Last edited:
Oh? i checked out the data sheets that suggest they can be used as such?

Really?!? Where you saw step-up?

Could you explain what it is im missing?

And the 5v is coming from a usb source so to speak, well actually its a usb battery charger i rigged up to my speaker dock lol so....yea it provides 2ma if that helps at all?

5V*2A=10W of continuous power is enough for a really high peak audio power, if there is a sufficiently big capacitor, a soft-start circuit and a step-up voltage converter. TPA3116 is perfect. You can set 12V voltage, with 22000 uF capacitor, and a current limited step-up converter. 2A DC-DC 2V-24V Step up boost Adjustable Power supply Converter Module | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.