piano black or other high gloss finishes on MDF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
30.00,:eek: where in rural China .... ? :)

With shipping, import duties and tax, it probably would have been more expensive in rural China! :D

I took them to a local cabinet shop where they spray continually. I had them taped up and ready “to go”, and they went in the spray booth with other cabinets, so I doubt they had much more than 10 minutes in the job. They buy the lacquer (ML Campbell- l think) in large quantities, so the materials cost was low, and I admit, there probably was some reciprocation for things that we had done for them. But even if they doubled the price it would have been $60.

The high cost of finishing is mostly in the preparation. And by the way, a “wood” finish is far more forgiving than a colored surface; high gloss black being the “most unforgiving” of all.

Last edited:
What 2part black polyester do you guys recommend that is reasonably priced these days ?

I have already sprayed 2pac primer and sanded
I did lacquer many years ago but want to ultra fine sand and buff to finish with epoxy since it’s a harder finish

Regards
David
AEB775B8-CA6B-4599-98B0-94D982B2E6F5.jpg

To get that kind of a finish on MDF the only method I can think of would be a coat of "Bondo" and lots of sanding with fine paper. Don't think even a standard sanding sealer would work. After sanding bondo surface a good tack rag wiping as well.(i Speak from my days in a cabinete shop.)
Doc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.