pi-filter Power supply for Alephs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jacco vermeulen said:
this is the one P-D used.
Some basics on choke supplies: here
and here
Find a HAM/ARRL handbook for more on choke filtering.
To model a pi filter you can try SwitcherCad or download PSUDesigner2 from Duncan Amps.

A fast approximation:
-choose an inductor size.
-current through the coil= 1.2*bias current.
-divide this by the maximum ripple voltage level you desire.
-divide by frequency (100Hz or 120Hz)
-divide by 2.
-subtract the inductor value(H) from this.
-divide by 2 again.
Gives you the lowest capacitor value.

Online from our dog lover Jim Hagerman in Hawaii: here

can i model the pi filter with Capture-PSpice? what would be the best for the purpose.
I already tried when i was modelling at first the circuit to simulate a pi-filter with SPICE but maybe i used wrong values for the parts, but i didn't obtain a significant result.
I couldn'r really evaluate the ripple performance, i don't know why.

I need at this point to study the formulas and the links that you put down on your post.
(if you can, could give an example of calculation for a 2 stages pi-filter?)

The pitron transformer is 1500VA, isn't it for a power amplifier? and moreover the secondary are about 30V each. (for curiousity: how much would it cost?)
What piltron transformer would you use for this preamplifier considering that since i live in europe the votage system is set up for 220V?
One curiosity: the trasformer on partconnection website are hammond; has anybody ever tried those trasformers? are piltron better than this one?

The regulated rail for the Aleph P has to be 60V...so if i use the pi-filter,since there are losses of voltage caused by the coils in serie...i guess that the secondary of the transformer should be something more than 60V....how much?!?....i really don't know....i guess that is a matter of applying the relationship on pi-filters.

Stefano,

You are basically on your own with all the questions you post, is very difficult for the board members to help you with such specific question. There have been several good helping post on this thread, take the advice you have received and work your way as many of us have done in the past.

My best advice is that you get some parts and breadboard some Pi filters and regulators and with the help of an oscilloscope see the outcome and tweak or test different values of component to your liking. You will learn more this way than with answers on this board or by simulating power supplies, and remember that the last test a circuit or power supply has to pass is your own ears and taste.
:) :) :)

could you share how you calculated this values for C and L?
I will simulate the circuit tomorrow....but if i'm not worng...from the last simulation....i remember ...but it's possible that i did something wrong..... that increasing the value of C the simulation gave me a worse result.
How is that possible? i must had gottend something wrong....

I mean....for logical......i calculate the minimum value for C accoringly to the fast formulas here on the 3d......and by oversizing this value i should get improvements on the ripple...isn't this true?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.