• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Here is the magnet array on the speaker in question, they have holes, no particular reason. that's what was available at the time. I used a aluminium rod to keep magnets straight and apart in the vertical direction. I used perforated steel sheet to hold the magnets and lined the cutout with draught proofing tape. Fill the cutout as much as possible with magnets. Use a trapezoid shape for the cutout. Standing waves??

Attachments

• magnet layout.jpg
    magnet layout.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3,389
Lasarus, transformer coupled monoblocks

One of two monoblocks:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Transformer coupled push pull amplifier bases on KR-Audio’s 842VHD direct heated triodes and EL84 driver stage.

Schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The amp gives 40W rms in class A, 60W in class AB1 and some more power when forced into class AB2.
Frequency response: <10Hz-50kHz (-3.5dB), 20Hz -20kHz (+/-0.2dB)
Distortion: at 40W: 0.12% 2HD, 0.12% 3HD, at 55W: 0.3% 2HD, 0.3% 3HD.
Output impedance: 0.9 ohm, DF: 9

Distortion pattern at 55W rms:

Tubes and stuff from www.demostenes.no
Transformers from www.sowter.co.uk
Chassis work by www.mapletreeaudio.com

Jan E Veiset
Norway

Nice looking amp Jan, looks a lot better than my amps, still I don't have to please a wife! Do you? I've never come across these output valves before! Is that a bias meter I see? What does it sound like and what speakers do you use with it? Can't get over how gorgeous it looks you must have spent a fortune on the transformers and chassis!!. I've put another one of my amps on. Using CV57's P/P about 500v. I couldn't afford intermediate transformers so I used 4 cheap output transformers instead, which I read about in the book :-Audio Frequency Amplifier Design by GEC.

Attachments

• no 4.jpg
    no 4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 3,054
Regards Jan
They look even better on the inside, how do you do it? Mine look like spaghetti after it been hit by a bomb or several!!! I can't afford speakers like that so had to make my own IB's, Underfloor Loaded, Transmission line and full range planar speakers, using ferrites and neo's. I also built several amps, some worked some didn't but the ones that did, Iam quite happy with and it keeps me out of trouble. Being retired (68), it keeps me busy and active. Henry.

Very nice Jan! What do you use as a control amp to drive it? How do you bias the output tubes? You did not show the PS schematic. Are you using four TV damper tubes as the PS bridge?

The output tube filaments look dark in your picture yet all other tubes are in glorious glow. Is this a standby mode or something?

Again very nice construction.

I'm using a preamp with a 6J5 common cathode gain stage with a 6R7 cathode follower. Since I've got ~20dB gain in the preamp I don't need high sensitivity power amps. 3V rms input for full tilt was the design target.
The output tubes are running at ~480V/80-90mA cathode bias each. You’ll find the complete schematic here: http://www.veiset.net/842/R070201.gif
The filaments in the 842s don't glow too much and most of the filament is hidden behind the plate.

Jan E Veiset

qq:
>Where do you find the (looks like blank?) PC boards with connection..
You almost spelled it: Partsconnexion.com

rdf:
>The KR site doesn't show plate curves for the 842VHD, did you generate your own set?
No, I’ve got the plate curves that followed each tube:

>the B2+ bypass cap is shown in 'bang polarity'.
Whoops! I should fix that. :xeye:

Jan E Veiset