• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

When the Helios 50mm f2.0 lens is wide open (at f2.0), it is already subject to flare.
It was not multi-coated (maybe some early ones from the 50s were not even single coated?).
The lens was a copy of the German Biotar formula.
At f2.0, it also has oval soap bubble bokeh, because of the truncation of the lens.
If you had one, you could look through the rear of the lens from an angle to the side, and see the truncation. Because of the 3:2 aspect ratio of 35mm film cameras, and full frame digital cameras, the truncated soap bubbles are most truncated at the corners. This also causes the swirl effect of the soap bubbles.
I forgot to mention the swirl effect till now.

The Helios 58mm f2.0 is very popular, but because it was the standard lens for countless Russian SLRs, it is so common that it is still available at a very low price.
Now, watch and see if there is a sudden run on the sales of the remaining stock of those old used lenses.
Just like when a 45 vacuum tube article showed up in Glass Audio. The price of a 45 skyrocketed.

Last edited:
It flares, but not with thin horisontal streaks like those made by cylindrical optical elements of the true anamorphic lens. People stick stuff like the piece of fishing line inside the lens to imitate those highly specific flares.
Its bokeh bubbles aren't regular, but it's circular in the center and "cats-eyed" (i.e. formed by two circular arcs) towards the sides, and those eyes are perpendicular to the radius at any given point - unlike the strictly horisontal and strictly elliptical bokeh bubbles of the true anamorphic lens. People replace aperture assembly with elliptical-holed stencil to imitate those highly specific bokeh bubbles (which are actually round in-camera but became elliptical after the footage is remorphed to the normal proportions).
So no, unmodified Helios (or any other normal lens) won't give you anything close to the anamorphic look.

How about eye glasses with highly corrected astigmatism?
Could they be used?

I forgot about the flare line straight across the middle (and it can have purple color).

Get a real Anamorphic lens to get all of the effects that only an Anamorphic lens can provide.
The prices are coming down a little on some of the new versions.
SLR full frame, and also mirrorless full frame, APS-C, and micro 4/3.

Helios 58mm f2
The Cat's Eye swirl effect can be seen with the naked eye by looking through the rear of the lens, and varying the viewing angle from the lens center; and yes it relates to the angle from the center. The corners being further from the center have the most effect.

Last edited:
Have no idea on eyeglasses lens design (and prefer to keep it that way as for long as possible to be honest - still going 20/20 in my forties).
Real anamorphic lenes are still quite expensive - the cheapest one goes for around $700 IIRC. That's why many people abuse those cheap Helioses :)

This is a Bottlehead SEX 2.0 amplifier that I built several years ago. 2 watts per channel, and uses 6DN7 tubes.

Attachments

• SEX 2.0.jpg
    SEX 2.0.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 670
I changed the bulbs for the (rare now - 100km trip to buy the last three of them) proper 120V 300W Sylvania ones... Now listening to an old Elton John record.

There's a reason Mr Pass spec this spec. A 22R 100W resistor is hard to come by these days unless it's "100W" and bolts to a heatsink. I dissipate under 50W in these MOSFETS that are rated for 695W TDP. Can you actually achieve these rating without LN2?

Attachments

• 2020-08-03 20-08-24.jpg
    2020-08-03 20-08-24.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 1,011
I love the SEX amp, in fact I also have the 2.1 version. Both have upgraded caps, the 2.1 has the C4S board. The amps have a neutral sound to them, I use them as both with headphones and speakers. Two watts powers my ADS L470/2, Allison CD6 and Fostex FE103en bass reflex speakers. Check out the Bottlehead web site for more info and opinion of others. My amps have been in Burning Amp, meets, and headphone shows for over twelve years and they always put a smile on everyone face. If you lived closer I would invite you over to head them.

GM70 Single Ended Monoblock

Hi all, here are some images of my new GM70 Single Ended Monoblock. Only two tubes, E86C driver and GM70 output. 25 W on 8 Ohm.
The case will be completed with a cage. The GM70 will stay out of the cage, due to the huge amount of heat.

Danilo

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 386
  • PowerSupply.jpg
    PowerSupply.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 633
  • FullView.jpg
    FullView.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 655
  • GM70.jpg
    GM70.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 689
  • Ampli1.jpg
    Ampli1.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 711
Hi all, here are some images of my new GM70 Single Ended Monoblock. Only two tubes, E86C driver and GM70 output. 25 W on 8 Ohm.
The case will be completed with a cage. The GM70 will stay out of the cage, due to the huge amount of heat.

Danilo

I have some GM70 laying around, do you happen to have a schematic? Maybe I can draw some inspiration from this one :D

I have some GM70 laying around, do you happen to have a schematic? Maybe I can draw some inspiration from this one :D

Hi, here is the schematic. The measured quiescent current for the GM70 is 82 mA, 90 W, and for the E86C is 7 mA. The dual supply is to avoid problems with the output transformer. There are 6 dB of NFB just to lower a bit the output impedance. Anyway it can run without NFB.

Danilo

P.S.: I don't know if this is the wrong place for posting schematics, if so please apologize me and remove the schema.

Attachments

• E86C-BJT-CCS-DRIVER-ONECAP-GM70-AUTO-DUAL-9000-LAB.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 190