• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

UF86-EL81

Two stage differential small monoblocs (300mm x 120mm) with Sowter 8920 used as splitter at input.

:note::note::note:

Attachments

• DSCF8894.JPG
    DSCF8894.JPG
    657 KB · Views: 665
  • DSCF8899.JPG
    DSCF8899.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 644
  • DSCF8902.JPG
    DSCF8902.JPG
    754.8 KB · Views: 637
PP EL34

New born, PP amplifier . Output tube EL34, toroidal output transformer , and mains transformer also toroidal . Input tube 6N2P and 6N1P, Alps pot and enclosure designed by me .:D

Regards,
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_20181122_210107.jpg
    IMG_20181122_210107.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20181122_210206.jpg
    IMG_20181122_210206.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20181122_210023.jpg
    IMG_20181122_210023.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20181122_210238.jpg
    IMG_20181122_210238.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20181128_230236.jpg
    IMG_20181128_230236.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 228
  • PP EL34 LMO.jpg
    PP EL34 LMO.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20181130_083751.jpg
    IMG_20181130_083751.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20181130_083803.jpg
    IMG_20181130_083803.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 129
Hello to everybody, I just check and saw very beautiful amp here.
I start just one years ago to build tube amp for myself. My first is the RCA 30+30 push-pull with RIAA and tone control, I am very happy with it, has been just difficult to squeeze everything on the same enclosure, if I have to do it again now I will for sure use separate enclosure.

kissabout2002, excellent work there, however I see a fan. Please send the amplifier to me immediately for testing and proper environmentally friendly disposal. :D

I am kidding! Fans are okay around here and it reminded me of near legendary tube amp designer and builder Joseph Norwood Still's design of his 60 watt Triode/100 watt UL Control Amplifier from June 2003 Audio Xpress using 6550 tubes (he recommended a fan for all of his tube amplifier builds in following issues).

I do like your layout -- amplifiers are not only for the ears, as the eyes must have something too. Even though the amplifier is not mirrored symmetrically, it nonetheless retains a certain balance left and right visually.

Since I read about it all the time and out of curiosity, I would like to know how quiet is it? Are there any interference issues with placing the transformers in a line versus at 90 degrees? This could be the only time I get to ask accepted theory versus what has been applied.

How long did the build take you? What does the underside look like?

Excellent.

Wow, brommermartin, emk2, and alex mm! All beautiful works of amplification! It is pictures like these that give me inspiration that maybe someday I will get past the point of accidentally dropped chassis covers, scratched metal (screwdrivers and me), and other mishaps to get to the perfect looking amplifier.

alex mm, nice clean layout of the undersides with your PCBs and I possibly understand the conscious decision for keeping the chassis free of clutter and visual distractions, but would you ever put the bias pots topside (or on the back) for ease of adjustment? See, I am grappling with that issue right now of where to put the bias network on a PP build I am considering.

kissabout2002, excellent work there, however I see a fan. Please send the amplifier to me immediately for testing and proper environmentally friendly disposal. :D <snip>
Hi overtheairbroadcast, thank you for your comment, lol....I know that the fun will cause negative feedback me too I do not like it and was not planned on the original project, but one day after use the amp for several hours I really pity the small 6GH8A between the almighty 5U4 and 6L6, as I said without experience I make several mistake and the main one was try to put everything in one enclosure, I made a lots of adjustment for fix hum problems but at the end is I think reasonably quiet, with no input and volume on the center I have to put my ear close to the speaker for ear some noise, the right channel is absolutely quiet but the left channel I can ear a small hum noise that I am been unable to fix it, I am waiting for oscilloscope and signal generator are on the way so I will be able to really understand the problem, but as I said I really have to put my ear on the speaker for ear it, sound is fantastic and powerful, but if one day I will build again the same amp for sure I will separate the power supply from the amp also because just the 2 power transformer are 20 lbs.

The build takes six month, I am in Philippines and here you cannot find anything so I bought all components from US, Canada and China so take a lots of time.

The underside...well....lol....I am little ashamed to show it is a little bit messy but the first time I will open it I will take a picture. I am now more in love with single ended amp, I am doing now a 5.5 watt with 6V6 drive by 6N2P, my ears really love the sound of those small amp like "my baby amp"...thanks again and all the best :)

Nice amps, kissabout. I particularly like the creative chassis for the "baby" amp!

SE-814 triode mode with 6E6p-ev with gyrator load as driver. <snip>

Wowww very impressive design, great achievement

kissabout2002....Very nice, but fan puts amp very far from HiEnd, its a bad decision, sorry....

Hi there, yes I know was in fact not on the original project but then became necessary, thank you for your suggestion and comment...all the best....:)

New born, PP amplifier . Output tube EL34, toroidal output transformer , and mains transformer also toroidal . Input tube 6N2P and 6N1P, Alps pot and enclosure designed by me .:D

Regards,
Alex

Looks very nice, I really like the underside, my amp are very messy so I have to learn and your amp is a very good example....thanks

Joined 2016
Paid Member
SE-814 triode mode with 6E6p-ev with gyrator load as driver. Power supply for the 814 : 2x 866A and 2x 6AX4. Powersupply for the 6E6p AZ1 mesh plate. Output transformers are Tribute 6,5K custom made. Power transformers and chokes are from Leszek Ogonowski. Filament supply and bias supply are from Rod Coleman

Dear Martin,

Congratulations for this gorgeous build ! Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks !
I like your chassis and I would like to know more about its structure. Would you accept to share its design or more pictures ?

Thx, Charles

kissabout2002 congrats on your first build.

"The build takes six month, I am in Philippines and here you cannot find anything so I bought all components from US, Canada and China so take a lots of time".

Moderator TonyTecson is a maker of transformers.Make contact with him, he's down the road from you in Pasig city.
Who knows you 2 could start a 2 man audio club.

Good luck and keep building. See here..
Tony's latest traffo DIY build

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Martin thank you for the pictures ! Great metal work, I guess CAD+laser-cut and professional welding, plus excellent paint job. Given my previous experiences in this area, the case alone must have cost the amount of a small amp! Two questions: what is the material used for the front-panel? And where did you find these supporting plates?

Attachments

• plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 823
Last edited:
Is that a sputnik? Nice amps!

Loving the little Sputnik logo. Well done

Thanks for your comments. Sputnik, yes.

Spudnik for a previous (now dismantled)... spud ;)

Problem: the finished build is not really the more interesting to me.

What's next ? probably two 6V6G driven by a LL1681 and two 816, I would like to loose myself in the blue glow of mercury rectifiers. Not these vulgar blue leds.

Attachments

• DSCF8181.jpg
    DSCF8181.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 690