• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Hi, this is my new GM-70 SE amplifier. Two stages, using D3a (or my favourite E186F) as driver. I prefer copper plates GM-70.

Separated PSU enclosure. The power transformers have electrostatic screens. All of the power supplies are regulated or open-loop stabilized, including the 1100 volts. Uses a clean fixed bias circuit using Rod Coleman's CCS + resistor idea. Also uses Rod's heater modules. Has a microcontroller for power sequencing and protection (detects bias problems, overload, disconnected power cables, overheating).

Outputs 2x30W of Music, and the rest up to 650W electric power is converted into heat and lovely orange light... :)

Really one of the most professional looking builds! 650W?:eek: Were is that going? Are the cooling blocks on the side really necessary? I would really like to see the schematic of this one!:)

EL34 + ECC81 Balanced

This one was finished in november; schematic is from Menno van der Veen.
It is actually a rebuild with the original trannys and tubes from my first ever tube amp some 25 years ago. As the parts where lying around, I decided the re-use them. It also gave me a chance to design a new allround enclosure I could use for future projects, and try some new PCB tricks.

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,573
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,450
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 1,407
  • amp4.jpg
    amp4.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,387
  • amp5.jpg
    amp5.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 1,379
Really one of the most professional looking builds! 650W?:eek: Were is that going? Are the cooling blocks on the side really necessary? I would really like to see the schematic of this one!:)

Thanks!
The regulated filament PSUs burn a lot of power, and the cooling blocks on the sides are quite necessary. I designed the amp to work with a mains voltage between 220v and 245v, so the excess voltage is transformed into heat.

Here is the schematic, with a disclaimer: "Serious shock hazard. Do not attempt to build."

Attachments

• GM70 SE amp schematic.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 350
Looks good ( ziet er goed uit )
but don't you have problems with noise becouse you have litle shielding with the wooden case

Nope, no noise or hum audible; in fact when no music is playing it is almost completely silent. (even with ear on speaker) I remember one time switching between two amps to do an a-b comparison that I thought it wasn't properly connected:rolleyes:.
The General Electric 6201 (ecc81) and the RFT EL34's are really good.

3A5 phono pre by Dmitry Nizhegorodov. Very nice preamp sound-wise. Dmitry didn't hesitate to thoroughly answer all the questions I had. A great guy, really... I started with with a Sankyo tape deck chassis and a Tamura power transformer. Continued with whatever parts I had at the time. Inside and outside aesthetics are sort of rough as the consequence but – the sound is what matters in the end :)

Attachments

• 3A5-5.jpg
    3A5-5.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 544
  • 3A5-4.jpg
    3A5-4.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 596
  • 3A5-3.jpg
    3A5-3.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 480
  • 3A5-2.jpg
    3A5-2.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 548
  • 3A5-1.jpg
    3A5-1.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 690
  • 3A5-6.jpg
    3A5-6.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 310
Thanks!
The regulated filament PSUs burn a lot of power, and the cooling blocks on the sides are quite necessary. I designed the amp to work with a mains voltage between 220v and 245v, so the excess voltage is transformed into heat.

Here is the schematic, with a disclaimer: "Serious shock hazard. Do not attempt to build."

Is a serious project, very good, incredible my friend, enjoy it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
This is my last build. I wasn't happy with it and it is now DEAD. Somebody might like the color. It's different.

Anyways, I'm not building crap anymore. Almost finishing an awesome tube amp now. It really takes a lot of planning, good planning, to build something....something you can feel proud of. Almost there. Slowly becoming a decent DIY man.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,160
  • DSCN2149.jpg
    DSCN2149.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN2179 (2).jpg
    DSCN2179 (2).jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 375