• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is the latest... and SE EL34 wired in "RH mode" ... a prototype built on a chassi plate from an organ (also donated trafo & PS choke). Mullards out of one of my Dyna ST70s. Hungarian 6DJ8 from who knows where. A Frugal-phile(tm) amp -- only cash invested was for the 3 Solen caps in the power supply and the binding posts.

Good enuff that a pretty one with CCS parafeed & EF86s in the works...

Currenly driving 8" Tannoy dual concentrics.

dave

disclosure: no kids... and the kats are staying away from it (it sure looks nice in the dark)

Attachments

• rh34.jpg
    rh34.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3,000
planet10 said:
Here is the latest... and SE EL34 wired in "RH mode" ... a prototype built on a chassi plate from an organ (also donated trafo & PS choke). Mullards out of one of my Dyna ST70s. Hungarian 6DJ8 from who knows where. A Frugal-phile(tm) amp -- only cash invested was for the 3 Solen caps in the power supply and the binding posts.

Good enuff that a pretty one with CCS parafeed & EF86s in the works...

Currenly driving 8" Tannoy dual concentrics.

dave

disclosure: no kids... and the kats are staying away from it (it sure looks nice in the dark)

Hello Dave, I think you could probably find some smaller gauge speaker wire if you tried harder!. :D

Regards

Anthony

Question : Is here somebody, who like ( and have buidt ) some more complicated tube amp ? At this time isn't age, when was neccessary pay one tube by bag of golden dust :cool: . I'm personaly rather tired by these " wermacht look like " machines ;) . Original Williamson's amp from the year 46' give me more " technical " enjoy and it is 59 years old construction :cool: .

I want to contribute with this preamp.
It's made out of russian 1SH29B tubes, made after a schematic from a german fellow.
I haven't really heard it, just a little bit after completion to make sure everything was ok.
The cd on the player was from Russel Watson. After adjusting the volume levels with and without the preamp for equal output, this one made the vocals stand out beautifully, the music seemed a bit richer oon the whole spectrum.

Best regards,

Francisco

PS: how do i do a frequency response graph with the PC? Thanks!:D

Attachments

• imag0064.jpg
    imag0064.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,629