• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Joined 2007
Paid Member
IMG_5658.jpg

Beautiful! ...but what provisions have you made to prevent oxidation?

Here's an amplifier that I just finished. Its a 2V red LED biased 12sl7 split-load phase splitter, and a 6as7g garter-biased output stage. Power is from a toroidal isolation transformer with added heater windings.330V B+ (center tapped). The Input stage runs across the supply, the output stage gets a B+ of 165V from the PSU center tap. The output stage has a garter bias scheme, 330 ohms each resistor, with the cathodes connected through a 150uF non-polar electrolytic. 90V across each 6as7g, 30V across each R, and 10v lost in the transformer. Sounds very nice, and has very nice bass even with cheap speakers. Also pictured is my passive preamplifier, a basic 100k pot with basic RCA in/out, and a switching 1/8th input on the front.

086.jpg

084.jpg

082.jpg

090.jpg

094.jpg

098.jpg

101.jpg

Hi,
this is my first posting in this forum. What I am showing here is "work in progress": a triode headphone amp based on Kurt Strain's design ( HeadWize - Project: An OTL Tube Headphone Amplifier by Kurt Strain ). I made the enclosure from 1/16'' aluminum sheet. Due to an issue with hum I will relocate the power supply to a separate enclosure.

Warm regards,
Fred

Attachments

• IMGP1865_cropped_1000x.JPG
    IMGP1865_cropped_1000x.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 329
Clean, very elegant. Good proportions. I like it.

Thank you. I am professional.
Empty space on front part of chassis looks odd, but there I will hide digital controls of inputs and volume. 5 inputs remote controlled (relays), and motorized fader remotely controlled, that controls relays of ladder attenuator.

Curious to see your regulator. I am trying to make a regulator that is not the maida, but there are not many design for power amps.

It is very simple: string of 2 Zeners, 120V each, in series, and couple of MOSFET followers, for 115 and 235V. Time constant for 15 S. Similar regulator for -40V, with very short time constant, and one for 6.3V using one MOSFET and one small BJT, with couple of LEDs for reference voltage. Excess 2.1V for 4P1L dropped by pair of 3 Ohm resistors per tube, one from each side. CTs of 4P1L filaments grounded. 6J5P and 6N16B filaments powered from regulated 6.3V.

Last edited:
Very nice. I've been waiting for someone to use that tube-socket-on-PC-fan-guard trick. Did you see it in Morgan Jones too?
Would never of thought of it but a good idea.

Any noise from the leds. They are meant to be noisy little devils.

Do we have postable schematic. I did a 12AX7/6AS7 SET. Just two tubes and rec tube. Love the amp-3W. Every one who listens to it wants one.