• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

What is the big round thing uner the amp, power tranni?

Look forward to your 211.

Yes, it is the toroidal transformer.
211 amp situation at the moment is as follow:

Attachments

• PIC00712.JPG
    PIC00712.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 1,867
  • PIC00713.JPG
    PIC00713.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 1,766
  • PIC00718.JPG
    PIC00718.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 1,760
  • PIC00715.JPG
    PIC00715.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 1,705
Magic eyes are nice VU meters, but they need to be replaced quite frequently. And after replacement of tubes such nice looking VU meter have to be re-calibrated, otherwise measurements are not precise. One of my prototypes used them to check bias of output tubes as well, but I gave up the idea, since output tubes (GU-50 at least) live much longer.

Well it's certainly not a DIY amp, but I did recap the business end of it yesterday after it sat for two years dead in the water. It's my brother's amp, but it's probably going to end up being mine permanently until I buy or build something else that's better. All I did was replace the PS/filter caps as they were completely shot. As for the coupling/bypass caps, they are still in use and sound great! Plus I have been told that those old Sangamo Type 33 caps are highly regarded. So if they ain't broke, don't fix 'em. :D

All pics taken with iPhone4...

Before:
p960503150-4.jpg

After:
p33455394-4.jpg

Before:
p453244006-4.jpg

After:
p264340310-4.jpg

p514015907-4.jpg

p38714250-4.jpg

p502598194-5.jpg

Toroidal Transformer Cover

I've searched the rest of the forum including other threads asking the same question and can't find any information about where to source the round cylindrical enclosures for a toroidal transformer. I know that these are called "deep drawn enclosures" and all the manufacturers that I've contacted are accustomed to huge quantity orders and want a king's ransom for one or two units. Where are people locating these at a reasonable cost? I'm located in the U.S. Thanks.

I've searched the rest of the forum including other threads asking the same question and can't find any information about where to source the round cylindrical enclosures for a toroidal transformer. I know that these are called "deep drawn enclosures" and all the manufacturers that I've contacted are accustomed to huge quantity orders and want a king's ransom for one or two units. Where are people locating these at a reasonable cost? I'm located in the U.S. Thanks.

Antekinc has some. Might want to inquire with them. I thought they cost around $20-$30 a piece though.

Pictures of my first home made electronics project:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Williamson type amplifier with 807, 6F8G, and 866A. The odd duck is a delay relay.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Guts:

Power supply in a separate partition.

One of the very best I have ever seen...!
I've thought a lot about how to keep the topside free of screwheads or rivets- you've succeeded!

Underneath is VERY complicated- wonder if you drew it all out with a 3D drafting package or just how you arrived at such a wonderful layout that seems to "just work"?

Excellence like this doesn't just happen- congratulations on a very well-planned and well-crafted design!

Happy with the performance? -Starting with a Williamson-type design, it's no doubt great.
Curious about some of the design obstacles you encountered and how you overcame them-.

Congratulations on the excellent work!

Pictures of my first home made electronics project:

This is superb. The underside looks as good as the top. Beautiful:worship:

One of the very best I have ever seen...!
I've thought a lot about how to keep the topside free of screwheads or rivets- you've succeeded!

Underneath is VERY complicated- wonder if you drew it all out with a 3D drafting package or just how you arrived at such a wonderful layout that seems to "just work"?

I agree. Jon, How did yo do this? It is simply superb. "Homemade" electronics are not supposed to look this good!