• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Mal,

Yep that is exactly what those are. I would say to buy a batch of 10, because at first I had some arc-overs during prototyping. It was probably my own mistake though, because I didn't take as good care for their layout as I should have. There is a max heater to cathode rating that I didn't want to exceed, so I tied the heater to the cathode, in effect making it direct-heated. They're reliable in full wave bridge with heater tied to cathode now, and also make sure to insulate the individual socket contacts well with heat shrink. You see that I used four of these diodes - one each of the others are used in the series with the driver's dual-mono supply just for slow startup and dropping a little voltage. The amp sounds phenomenal, and I would definitely use these diodes again!

And one more tip - if you plan to pair this with high eff speakers >95db and are sensitive to any hum/noise, then I would recommend trying DC heating of the diodes.
Cheers mate ,thanks for the info :).

Tubelab SE 45

Pictures did no go through.

D.

Attachments

• _DSC6110.jpg
    _DSC6110.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,756
  • _DSC6111.jpg
    _DSC6111.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,767
My reference Amp, It drive the JBL 4344 very easily. I'm must used 16 caps 560uF/450V in power supply for bass enought strong at full Power output.

Specifications:
- Vacuum Tube Complement:
8 x 3D21WB, 2 x 12SL7 , 2 x 6BX7
- Output Power 90 Wrms (4 Ohms)
10 Hz – 50 kHz ± 3dB (at full power)
- Class of output operation: AB1
- Input Sensitivity / Impedance: 1V / 100K Ohms
- Dimensions W x D x H: 42 x 42 x 21 cm
- Weight per unit: 36 Kg

Attachments

• IMG_7515.jpg
    IMG_7515.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,724
  • Reference-Amp.jpg
    Reference-Amp.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 1,662
  • IMG_7513.jpg
    IMG_7513.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,575
Last edited:
Hello All,

Any of you have built OTL tube amplifiers ?

Here are my 2 OTL mono blocks (built in 1993) - I hope that the picture will be displayed correctly below :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A+!

My reference Amp, It drive the JBL 4344 very easily. I'm must used 16 caps 560uF/450V in power supply for bass enought strong at full Power output.

Specifications:
- Vacuum Tube Complement:
8 x 3D21WB, 2 x 12SL7 , 2 x 6BX7
- Output Power 90 Wrms (4 Ohms)
10 Hz – 50 kHz ± 3dB (at full power)
- Class of output operation: AB1
- Input Sensitivity / Impedance: 1V / 100K Ohms
- Dimensions W x D x H: 42 x 42 x 21 cm
- Weight per unit: 36 Kg

Good professional design. I like it.

Parallel 6AG7 SE

Hello all!
Here is my amp. Mixed schematic from several sources.
Output stage with Russian 6P9 (6AG7) two in parallel.
Screen stabs are STR 150/30.
Line stage – Russian 6N8S (6SN7).
Bias rectifier – Russian 6X6S (6H6).
Power rectifier – Russian 5Tz3S (5U4G).

Attachments

• MG_1573.jpg
    MG_1573.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 1,600
Nice considerations. Charming. Well, the space is great but here it doesn't matter. I've got this unique vintage power trans with such a tube placement, manufactured in 1953 for some kind of a specific device for the Sovier Army. Great core iron.
I like rockets since my next of keen was a pilot of the TU-95 aircraft "Bear".
About trying anything ... any try is a chance for the advance and progress. Thanks for wishing the bless.
Have a nice day!

Last edited: