Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks to everyone for getting in touch with me. I've got a fairly clear picture now of where things stand with Rhys and the phonoclone 3 group buy:

1. Rhys is still around, still posting to the forum, and trying to deal with at least three different group buys.

2. The other group buys he started are in far worse shape that the phonoclone 3 one. More people, longer delays.

3. There seems to be a few orders trickling out, but the majority of people still have nothing.

4. Rhys has closed his web storefront.

What all this tells me is that Rhys proceeded with these multiple group buys in an irresponsible way. What went wrong I can only guess at, but I imagine it was something along the lines of using the money he received for other things, thinking he could pay it back later. He did not, however, set out to deliberately defraud and he is currently trying to sort out the situation.

How each of you choose to deal with this is up to you. I personally don't feel he is deserving of any sympathy:

- He has not sent people boards that were paid for over three months ago.
- He has never given us an honest explanation for the delays.
- He does not reply to most of the email he receives.
- He has said kits were shipped when they were almost certainly not.
- He has never apologized.

That said, I don't know what, if anything, we as a community can do about it.

Richard

Confirm received:
||earsandeyes||2||The Netherlands|| (boards only)
||JBdV||?||The Netherlands|| (kit, received May 8th, not on wiki)

Confirm did not receive:
||rjm||2||Japan|| (paid for boards, never told how much to pay for additional parts)
||lancer||4||Singapore|| (kit, paid, shipped May 8th)
||kffern||2||Australia|| (kit, paid, shipped May 23rd)
||northernsky||2||Italy|| (kit, paid, no shipping info given)
||prooptiki||2||Greece|| (boards only, no shipping info given)
||FinnC||2||Denmark||(kit, paid, shipped May 2, not on wiki)
||Yan6||2||Canada||(boards only, paid, not shipped - waiting on other boards?)

Unconfirmed
||enzedone||2||New Zealand|| (kit, posted May 7th saying he had not received)
||noelectrix||2||Germany|| (kit, posted May 15th saying had not received)

Boards

As of yet, no boards. Including an order from his web page(2 driver boards).

I have lost money twice in about the six years.
What I get frustrated with is, that the Kiwi/oz $ is not that great against the euro/us, what starts out as a reasonable amount for you guys, turns out to be quite a lot for us down here. So it turns out to be a big burn.
But I find that most people on this forum are honest.
So I just have to wear this.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ok, the games up: score is 2-9. In this post Rhys insisted is was 7-3.

"I belive there are 3 out of 10 kits still to be received richard. I think people dont realise that its only the people without their stuff that are posting / getting in touch. Everyone else keeps quiet, so it actually looks like nothing has ever arrived."

Confirm received:
||earsandeyes||2||The Netherlands|| (boards only)
||JBdV||?||The Netherlands|| (kit, received May 8th, not on wiki)

Confirm did not receive:
||rjm||2||Japan|| (paid for boards, never told how much to pay for additional parts)
||lancer||4||Singapore|| (kit, paid, shipped May 8th)
||kffern||2||Australia|| (kit, paid, shipped May 23rd)
||northernsky||2||Italy|| (kit, paid, no shipping info given)
||prooptiki||2||Greece|| (boards only, no shipping info given)
||enzedone||2||New Zealand|| (kit, paid, no shipping info given)
||FinnC||2||Denmark||(kit, paid, shipped May 2, not on wiki)
||noelectrix||2||Germany|| (kit, paid, arranged for delivery after June 1st)

Unconfirmed
(all wiki orders accounted for)

Maybe he's honest, but just bites off more than he can chew and then can't manage to rectify the problems.

I am involved in another G/B with 1500 boards so far, this is very worrying as well.

Richard,

Thanks for putting all this work in. I actually didn't realise so many people have been burnt by this.
I have just registered this issue with Paypal. I think everyone involved should do the same so that some sort of history can be built about all this.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ok, still seems to be a crapshoot but things are looking up.

-- Original wiki, boards only. --

Received:
||earsandeyes||2||The Netherlands||

Not received:
||prooptiki||2||Greece|| (paid, no ship date)

-- Original wiki, kit option. --

Received:
||kffern||2||Australia|| (shipped May 23rd)

Not received:
||lancer||4||Singapore|| (shipped May 8th)
||noelectrix||2||Germany|| (arranged for delivery after June 1st)
||northernsky||2||Italy|| (no ship date)
||enzedone||2||New Zealand|| (no ship date)

-- Orders placed after the first group buy finished. --

Received:
||JBdV||2||The Netherlands|| (received May 8th)

Not received:
||FinnC||2||Denmark||(shipped May 2)
||pchw||2||?|| (shipped May 26th)
||Tham||2||Malaysia|| (shipping "later this week")

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I felt the need to run through the thread for Rhys' posts, to get a sense of the timeline.

If fairness, the long delay was mostly between the delivery of the boards and the announcement that the kits were ready to be ordered. He waited for payments to be complete before ordering the parts, ran into a big computer crash in early April, and got the parts middle of April. It's after that point that communications seem to have run into trouble, and some of the outstanding problems can probably be traced back to the computer crash.

In short --- one might have hoped that the kits would have been sent in early may rather than late may, but the delay is not unreasonable. I suggest people get in touch with him to sort out shipping date if they haven't already, and be sure to give him your shipping address as he might have lost it.

And we'll see how things go from there.

Please note that some of the capacitor markings on the boards he his sending are reversed. I've posted it before but I'll attach the corrected orientation again.

April 16th
Hi everyone, i got the parts in from mouser today, just waiting on the rest from farnell uk, which should arrive tomrrow, fingers crossed.

April 14th
Can people who have payed for kits, please contact me with their correct values for R1 and R2, thanks.

April 7th
I will have another 5 stereo kits with boards, and also another 5 stereo sets up for grabs.

April 6th
To everyone who has payed for boards or kits

I need you to send me an email for what you have payed for, with the paypal receipt attached, along with your email address and postal address. If you have allready received your boards please dont do this.

I have had a huge failiure on my home server and all my audio work, group buy and contact information & everything else to do with audio. I have nothing left, so i have to rebuild from scratch. If you have purchased from multiple group buys please only send me one email.

If this can be done quickly there should be no problem.

March29th
If anyone wants a kit of parts, the deadline is at 00:00 tonight GMT.

March 26th
Finally, the kits are ready to be ordered, with nothing to change.

I will be ordering the standard RJM BOM, with high quality Nichicon capacitors, Vishay Dale resistors and OPA27GP opamps. The Bennic 2.2uf is used for C3.

I belive there were originally 5 takers for the kits, with RJM just with opamps.

The kit will be £58 exactly for a stereo set, excluding paypal fee if you would be so kind .

If you could send the payment in GBP, not USD that would be good, the exchange rate is so unstable at the moment!

And also, if you missed out on the original GB, but want a kit thats no problem.

My paypal address is the same, rhys@pressure-drop.org .

I will give people over the weekend to get the payments to me, as i dont want to be keeping all you patient people any longer.

March 16th
Ok, Kits are ready to be ordered! I will send out a group email shortly, before requesting payments.

Reversed capacitor issue exposed Feb 12th.
here

Boards delivered Feb 10th.
here

Kit proposed: Feb 4th

Attachments

• pc31ncorrectedcolorsm.png
    pc31ncorrectedcolorsm.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 491

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My response is here.

In a positive development, JBdV sent me photos of his kit he got from Rhys. They look really nice:

CIMG2303s.jpg

CIMG2302s.jpg

What with kffern's kit arriving, if we can see a few more arrive in the next week or so then we can say we've turned a corner on this episode.

Of course if you filed a Paypal dispute, be sure to mark it resolved as soon as you get your kit.

Thanks,

Richard

rjm said:
My response is here.

In a positive development, JBdV sent me photos of his kit he got from Rhys. They look really nice:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What with kffern's kit arriving, if we can see a few more arrive in the next week or so then we can say we've turned a corner on this episode.

Of course if you filed a Paypal dispute, be sure to mark it resolved as soon as you get your kit.

Thanks,

Richard

I must say, those look pretty nice with the PCB's stuffed. The rest of the kits should be turning up pretty soon.

kffern said:
Well I'm missing R6, R21, R22 and R1 and R2. I did send an email saying I wanted 15R/500R for R1/R2.

Shipping a couple of resistors to ar*e end of the world won't be cheap.

Anyone else lucky enough to get their kits yet find anything missing?

kffern

It wont cost more then a couple of £. I will get them out to you. You will need 2 * 47R carbon and then the 15R/500R.

I apologize for somehow leaving them out.

Suggestion from my side since the Dale 768 K is in backorder with Mouser and Carbon resistors are easily to get everywhere:

Everyone can get their boards running easily by buying a few Carbon resistors including a tempory Carbon replacement for R6.

I hope Rhys will ship the Dale RN60D 768K 1 % to everybody once they come in. (These resistors are really difficult to get)

Lead time with Mouser right now is 11 weeks.

JBdV said:
Suggestion from my side since the Dale 768 K is in backorder with Mouser and Carbon resistors are easily to get everywhere:

Everyone can get their boards running easily by buying a few Carbon resistors including a tempory Carbon replacement for R6.

I hope Rhys will ship the Dale RN60D 768K 1 % to everybody once they come in. (These resistors are really difficult to get)

Lead time with Mouser right now is 11 weeks.

Yes, the 768k is out of stock, it has been for months. I allready have it on back order. Im looking for an alternate source at the moment.

JBdV, on the other hand, have you fired up your PHC3 yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.