Phono preamplifier using OPAMPS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scott, which cartridge is that? What's the output rating?

The new Grado Sonata has .5 mV and 2 Ohms but the L is still 2mH. Some of the virtual ground input preamps will yield a time constant in the audio band based only on the cartridge characteristics. A Denon 103 for instance is 160 Ohms and 380uH. If you assume 2 Ohms and run a hot bipolar input the current noise will get you at the high frequencies.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

What should be the main factors that needs to be considered while selecting the supply transformer ? I am having a BLOCK transformer that can produce 18V dual secondaries. The power per secondary is 5VA. Is that OK for this project ?

Best regards,
Bins.

Hi,

What is the DC voltage and current you need? If you have that, calculate the power required. Then look up how to calculate the rectified voltage from a given secondary AC voltage.
This is all very easy to find on the net and will give you much more understanding than just asking (too) simple questions on the forum. Many people want to help if it is clear that you also do an effort.

jd

The new Grado Sonata has .5 mV and 2 Ohms but the L is still 2mH. Some of the virtual ground input preamps will yield a time constant in the audio band

Scott, years ago I had a Statement Platinum. That one too was specified at 2 mH, but when I ran it into a 20 Ohms virtual ground input it sounded tonally OK.

I then measured the coil inductance and found ... 60 uH.

Hi,

I wanted to collect the opinion on that implementation. Also, what is the idea of replacing the LM833 with the LM4562 or LME49710 ?

Best regards,
Bins.

LM833 sounds pretty bad for a modern op amp. If you need low noise and FET input you may look at the LF353 but it will be noisy complared to the 833. Maybe an AD712 or if you can take a BJT input try the LT1028.

Hi,

Will there by any significant advantage in the audio performance if the left and right channels are built as discrete blocks, each having their own power supply ?

Best regards,
Bins.

This is very seldom used even at the highest quality level. For a beginners design which may be based around an LM833 and powered from 7*15 regs it is completely inappropriate.

Hello Allen,

Good to see you on this thread. Instead of the LM833, I am planning to use the National LME 49710 opamp.

Best regards,
Bins.

Attachments

• Passive EQ.PNG
    Passive EQ.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 628
Pretty please with sugar on top!

Hello Allen,

Good to see you on this thread. Instead of the LM833, I am planning to use the National LME 49710 opamp.

Best regards,
Bins.

Please use a socket (link in earlier post) for the op-amp so you may try different op-amps. Op-amps are cheap to buy and if you make it so they just plug in you can easily discover which one sounds good. The LME49710 is another one of those "optimized" to look really good on paper without concern for the actual sonic performance. The LM833 is exactly the same type of "optimized for audio" opamp. We have already discussed that waste silicone.

Why is the output of the top opamp connected to ground through a 1µF capacitor? That will make the amp misbehave. Can you explain or maybe I missed something.- thanks

Last edited:
in the National Semi app note the upper op amps are acting as sub regulators for the ps, I would expect the caps on the op amp outputs to need some esr to maintain stability

I do have a philosophical problem with the flat gain block and passive eq topology:

LM4562=dual LME49710, the same app circuit appears in both part's literature
...assuming the gain blocks are perfect and giving them no further consideration is the logical error in recommending this design

The LM4562 is a high gain, "low bandwidth" device with integrating frequency response with a corner frequency below 10Hz

from 20 Hz to 20 KHz the open loop gain and the feedback of the "flat gain" blocks will fall 1000x

I think some of the usual criticisms of feedback amplifiers might include "falling feedback factor", "rising distortion, output impedance with frequency", and Otala's PIM

all of which are worse with the flat gain/ passive eq topology than if you implement the RIAA roll-off as active feedback

then of course you're feeding the input with a pre-emphasized signal that boosts 20 KHz by 40 dB over the 20 Hz level – to the point that the circuit has to “burn” some S/N at high frequency to keep any overload margin

I suppose you could argue that the LM4562 is so good that this bad topology would make the LM4562 superiority stand out from most other op amps in the flat gain blocks

active riaa feedback keeps the feedback factor more nearly constant and keeps slew rate and overload demands much lower

Last edited:
Hi,

The top opamp's are not a part of the audio section. They are part of the power supply.

Best regards,
Bins.

Please use a socket (link in earlier post) for the op-amp so you may try different op-amps. Op-amps are cheap to buy and if you make it so they just plug in you can easily discover which one sounds good. The LME49710 is another one of those "optimized" to look really good on paper without concern for the actual sonic performance. The LM833 is exactly the same type of "optimized for audio" opamp. We have already discussed that waste silicone.

Why is the output of the top opamp connected to ground through a 1µF capacitor? That will make the amp misbehave. Can you explain or maybe I missed something.- thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.