Philips DVD 963 on the fritz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back to the philips dvd 963:
Received the board with the new IC installed, plugged the unit in - a little noise - and nada.
So, there must be more wrong with the board.
Is it possible to get a complete new board somewhere?

I am looking also into building to build a non switching psu - what on the board as far as standby control and switch connections can I ignore? to make the whole thing easier.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi all.
Anyone have any luck getting the IC TY72011P2? I'm not having much joy here in Oz and I'm not forking out $100 for a new PS (Philips DVD-733K player). I'm pretty sure I only need to replace the chip, an inductor and a 100nF cappy and I should be back in business. This is the best player I've owned to date, so I'm quite keen to get it going again, not $100 keen but close to half that, if need be. The current player is crap with burnt discs, so I want to sack it ASAP. If anyone's had any luck at a good price let me know please.

Cheers.

Philips 963 power supply problems

As it turns out, 90% of the problems come from a dead electrolytic cap.

Replace the 1000uF/16 V caps 2250 and 2210 with decent Lo-impedance 105ºC caps and mostly all is well.

If not there is little beyond the Mosfet, TY-chip and LM431 regulator that can go wrong.

Mosfets are easily replaced with more current devices from ST, like I did with STP10NK80ZFP;

the LM431 is readily available from regular sources, only the TY72011P2 is a difficult animal but here in Holland still some 20 are available throug a service-parts distributor.

If somebody needs help with this one, I can provide some assistance; but realize there are only a handful in stock there, and gone is gone.

I also have some handy tips for those who are trying to repair the psu themselves,

Just let me know,

Marcel

Hi, this is Waughy, haven't checked for a while and Scott just pointed out the reply to me.
Yes I'm still interested in a chip, 2 or 3 if there's any left still. I'm in Australia so let me know the cost all up and I'll see if it's worth it to me to get a chip. I have given the board to a friend who works for an electronics repairer and he is going to see what he can do but if I can get the parts it might save some time waiting for him. If you can help at all I'm also after the tiny 22 micro inductor, can't find any around here. Those 2 and the cap you say to replace are all I need, I'm reasonably confident that's all anyway.

Cheers.

As it turns out, 90% of the problems come from a dead electrolytic cap.

Replace the 1000uF/16 V caps 2250 and 2210 with decent Lo-impedance 105ºC caps and mostly all is well.

If not there is little beyond the Mosfet, TY-chip and LM431 regulator that can go wrong.

Mosfets are easily replaced with more current devices from ST, like I did with STP10NK80ZFP;

the LM431 is readily available from regular sources, only the TY72011P2 is a difficult animal but here in Holland still some 20 are available throug a service-parts distributor.

If somebody needs help with this one, I can provide some assistance; but realize there are only a handful in stock there, and gone is gone.

I also have some handy tips for those who are trying to repair the psu themselves,

Just let me know,

Marcel

I realise that this thread is a bit old, but I'm trying to find out how to fix my dead Philips DVD 963SA. It just died a few weeks ago, and if it's the IC, then I need to build my own PSU it seems. If it's anything else, then I can replace it. I guess I should start with replacing the Caps then? And take it from there, and with a bit of luck it's working before I get to the IC that's impossible to find these days?

Didn't have any luck with mine. Ended up sending to Europe to be looked at, apparently there were more problems with it than I could find. Not sure what it's doing now but's been over a year so I guess it's unrepairable and probably in the bin. Not to worry, I've got an Xbox360 nowwith the HD DVD drive so not missing the philips at all. Actually the player is still here, might have to toss it too, no use to me now.

Hey Waughy,
Your power supply is working, just couldn't find the time to give it a final durablity test in a machine, so wasn't confident enough to send back to you...all because of the crazy workload I got, sorry!
Will put it in the mail one of the coming days.
So don't throw your player away!

ThomasML, describe more about your 963: did it die suddenly, no light from the display etc or will it turn on halfway with display light but not accepting discs?
Gotta figure out if it's a servo/drive problem or a power supply problem.

-Marcel

marconi said:
ThomasML, describe more about your 963: did it die suddenly, no light from the display etc or will it turn on halfway with display light but not accepting discs?
Gotta figure out if it's a servo/drive problem or a power supply problem.

It died all of a sudden, I opened it and it's missing some of the voltages from the PSU (don't remember which now, but I checked with my DMM at the socket which is going from the PSU to the rest of the system).

No light anywhere now, not in the display or anything.

Hi Marcel,
How lucky was that, I have been planning to throw the player out for a few weeks now, only got back to this thread when I got an e-mail saying there was a reply. Was going to PM you but my account is under moderation for some reason so I can't do that. I'll hold the player and wait to hear from you, if the PS is good now hopefully the rest of the machine is ok, that thing hasn't worked for about 3 years now. Oh well, I've got aspot for it in the bedroom if it's working. Anythiing I can do in return just ask.....

Cheers.

Hi,

if you are looking for parts, philips dvd 763SA has the same PSU board and mainboard+transport (DVD Module SD-4.00SA), used 20-40EUR in Poland. I have all service manuals if you want.

I'm looking for AV board of 963SA (with AD1955 etc.). Maybe someone could send me one?
Email me: m.skibi at gmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.