Philips CD960 - focus error ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
This morning i've got a Philips CD960 for just €10 from a garage sale. It was exposed to rain and i guess was not treated well at transport.

At home, the only fault was the little sluggish CD slide; after cleaning and lubrication it worked. I've played two tracks and it worked just fine. Unfortunately I carefully cleaned the dirty inside (full of dog hairs) with compressed air. I tested again and the playback suddenly stopped with "error" in the display. The cd and the drive was full of dog hairs, which i removed one by one.

After that incident, the CD wouldn't even spin up, just the laser lens is moving up and down a few times, after that the display shows "error" again. The laser works, I think, there's a red dot visible inside.

I've searched the Internet and followed the steps here:

http://getmanual.ru/indexnew.htm
audio >> service bulletins >> CD91 - CDC263
SYMPTOM: NO FUNCTION - gives error - no focus - no T.O.C.

and here:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm#cdsup

I'm helpless. Please help me!

PS: And yes, i've searched the forum... :)

Hi.

As it did work until you used an air jet, it is possible that the laser needs cleaning.

Use a cotton bud with a little alcohol ( meths or gin/vodka) to carefully wipe the laser lens.

It may also be possible that you blew dirt/hair into the laser head. Carefully inspect.

Another possibility is that dirt is preventing the head from returning fully to the centre. Remove ALL traces of grease/ lubrication.

Andy

EDIT :- Also check and reseat all cables and connectors.

I've tried all of this. I used a mild window cleaner. Now, after a few hours of power on, the lens appears to get in focus position and the cd spins up, the audio relais clicks. but then it aborts and the "error" message shows again.

As I figured out, it is an CDM 1 Mk 2 module. but that won't help me so far.

Maybe it is a control electronics error.

PS: I demonted the laser/prism unit to look for dirt in the inside of the optics. But I can turn the unit in the socket, so i hope that I fixed it in the right position now.

As far as I "may not" edit my post, i have to double-post.

I will check all connectors. I figured out that if i pull and push the laser/mirror unit back and forth (while turned off for sure) there are certain points where the laser appears to get the focus, the disk spins up and the head seeks like mad for the TOC. The motor makes high-pitched noises, as if the controler can't find the right speed.

...so I need the service manual for A CDM1Mk2 or the CD960. Right?

I have the standard tools for playing around with electronics plus an oscilloscope. Is this sufficient to do the adjustment?

PS: For strange reason, one time it started playing a (well pressed, new) CD. With any other I have, once again, no chance.
At least this is the evidence that the rest of the electronics should work somewhat properly.

Thanks for your help sop far.

Ezalor said:
...so I need the service manual for A CDM1Mk2 or the CD960. Right?

I have the standard tools for playing around with electronics plus an oscilloscope. Is this sufficient to do the adjustment?

PS: For strange reason, one time it started playing a (well pressed, new) CD. With any other I have, once again, no chance.
At least this is the evidence that the rest of the electronics should work somewhat properly.

Thanks for your help sop far.

Philips service manuals do not have details of the CDM. These are in individual manuals.

Andy

poynton said:
HI.

Send me a mail with your email address.
I will try to send you the CDM1 manual tomorrow.

Andy

HI.

Just to clarify, I do not have the manual to send - Sorry to those guys who emailed.
I was going to send the alignment procedure page only.

I did post the details where CDM info can be obtained. It cost me about 10euros for a complete set on CDM manuals.

Andy

Thanks, but that wasn't really what I was looking for. The tracking arm is in it's factory adjusted position, only the laser/prism module was moved. I will buy the CDM-1 manual.

PS:
I obtained a cheap CD-104, bud I haven't had a look inside. Maybe I can switch the CDM1 modules.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.