Philips cd753

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somewhat ancient thread I'm reviving, but since the thread title pretty much covers my topic, I figured it would be ok...

:)

I have a Philips CD 753 which was sounding absolutely perfect and was running like a well oiled little machine up until 15 minutes ago. Then all of a sudden mid-song... nothing. Just silence. The CD player still goes (time counter of the song keeps going), but just no sound. On/off still works, tray still works, hitting play/pause/stop/forward/rewind still works, just no sound.

I've tried a different amp of course, and different cables, tried the phones output and fiddling with the volumne knob, but no love.

I'm no great expert at diy audio (far from it in fact... I only recently joined... you can probably still easily find my n00b introduction :D), but maybe somebody has some ideas or pointers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Very very odd fault. Taken at face value and it appears the output muting is possibly active when it shouldn't be. Not sure without looking whether this model uses transistor or relays for that task but whatever, I think checking the status of the mute line has to be the first basic check. Assuming that is in fact OK then just work from the audio output back toward the DAC and see where the signal disappears. Scope and circuit needed for that of course unless you rig up some audio probe to feed the signal into an amp. If you get to the DAC and still no signal then its a real oddity and time to start getting heavy on the fault finding.

Strange fault.

Sorry for the late reply!

And thanks for the good tips. I got another Philips CD 753 to keep me going musically, so I can take all the time I need to learn how to tackle this.

:)

I will have a look to see what's up inside with potentially the mute line, as you said. First though, off to learn how to actually do that.

:scratch2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.