Philips CD104 tweaks

JeroenR said:

.... getting there..... ;)

Today I removed the SAA7030 as described earlier in this thread. It works perfectly. The sound seems to be bit more open, more detail, just more present (more piano). But, this is all impression, I did not compare to a non-modded 104. My reference is still the modded Marantz cd53.

wow - makes my do I / don't I thread about a single choke look a bit silly.

Is its as simple as desoldering the filter and putting those jumpers across or did you have to change any components underneath

JeroenR said:

.... getting there..... ;)

You removed all, did you create an I2S output or attach another DAC? Did you like the result?

Today I removed the SAA7030 as described earlier in this thread. It works perfectly. The sound seems to be bit more open, more detail, just more present (more piano). But, this is all impression, I did not compare to a non-modded 104. My reference is still the modded Marantz cd53.

And now for the I/V. Any good ideas for the TDA1540? I'm going to try to create a Thorsten tube version but then with these minitubes, there is place for another tranformer for the greedy 6.3V while the anode supply could come from the fixed transformer. Will post the schema later for you to shoot at....

For i/v you could try this,
cdenhancer1.
If you have access to back issues, Glass Audio #5 1997 also has a converter design based around two ECC82's and two ECC83's.

The audio board is not so empty anymore.

Attachments

• dout.gif
    dout.gif
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,731
jives11 said:

wow - makes my do I / don't I thread about a single choke look a bit silly.

Is its as simple as desoldering the filter and putting those jumpers across or did you have to change any components underneath

Almost; desoldering the filter, putting the jumpers in ..... and disconnect pin 16 of SAA7000 from earth (I scraped the track, there is just 1mm available, be careful!!) and put a 1K resistor between pins 16 and 18.

rfbrw said:

For i/v you could try this,
cdenhancer1.
If you have access to back issues, Glass Audio #5 1997 also has a converter design based around two ECC82's and two ECC83's.

The audio board is not so empty anymore.

I want to fit all in the case so no high voltages... hence the minitubes.

Is that I2S? Sorry, I do not have the experience to recognise components.

Andy : I will now certainly try the Thorsten version, uhhh.... a hint for the kathode resistors?

JeroenR said:

I want to fit all in the case so no high voltages... hence the minitubes.

Hence the digital output. A lot more options when there are no space retrictions.

Is that I2S? Sorry, I do not have the experience to recognise components.

LSB justified data not I2S. The ispLSI1016 is a CPLD, basically a large PAL. The CS8402 is the SPDIF transmitter. Both parts have been obsolete for a while and are best avoided. I used them because I had them and there was no need to lay out a board. Another reason not to use the CS8402 is that it unnecessarily complicates matters in this instance, it being a 2Fs device in a 3Fs world.

Hi All,

Andy (poynton) A little off topic but reading back on this thread you said you had some CD74 spares. Do you still have them? I have a very tidy player that has serious laser tracking problems after two thirds of any cd. I have posted elsewhere regarding this fault but only now note that you maybe have one knocking around. I only need the cdm1 really unless you want rid of all of it.

Thanks

Mat

Re: tubalizer

jives11 said:
http://www.audiodigit.com/index.php?section=81

This is interesting site as these guys also do a number of T-amp type kits.

What interested me in this Tubalizer (similar to the Musical Fidelity X buffer) is the PSU requirement - just a 12v dc regulated supply. Think we have one of those in the CD104 ?

What's more - you can pay by paypal or the usual debit/credit cards.

cd valve output stage

you may like to try this valve output stage to soften the highs of the 104,I haven't tried it yet myself but it sounds like it could be good,at the end of the article it has a few component modifications so that it can work with a TDA 1541 which may mean it can work with the TDA 1540 of the CD 104,I do not know the output characteristic's of the TDA 1540 and 1541 so cannot comment on this ,but if anybody knows if it could work,then let us all know,as I'll love to try it someday when I get the time and money.the webpage address is as follows.

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/theory/vasfda/vasfda.htm

malcolm

Re: Re: Re: tubalizer

jives11 said:

:) as indeed you can at Tent Labs, though my point was more aimed at speculating what circuit could provide a tube buffer running off only 12v

Hi Jives.

It does not necessarily run off 12v.

It may have a voltage doubler / quadrupler to get a B+ of about 25-35v.

My tube output stage runs from B+ of 35v obtained from the onboard Tx of a CD63. 12v DC for the heater is not a problem. [See my earlier post]

Andy

Re: Re: Re: Re: tubalizer

poynton said:

Hi Jives.

It does not necessarily run off 12v.

It may have a voltage doubler / quadrupler to get a B+ of about 25-35v.

My tube output stage runs from B+ of 35v obtained from the onboard Tx of a CD63. 12v DC for the heater is not a problem. [See my earlier post]

Andy

I use a similar circuit for my tuner (AKAI AT2600). There is a nice site on this. The circuit is using a 12SX7. If you have questions about the circuit you can mail the writer (Jack), he's very helpfull!!! :)

It is in Dutch but for pressing translation question please ask me.

http://home.versatel.nl/jvbrederode/

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tubalizer

JeroenR said:

I use a similar circuit for my tuner (AKAI AT2600). There is a nice site on this. The circuit is using a 12SX7. If you have questions about the circuit you can mail the writer (Jack), he's very helpfull!!! :)

It is in Dutch but for pressing translation question please ask me.

http://home.versatel.nl/jvbrederode/

Hmmm, should have quoted Jives.... sorry. :)

Re: cd valve output stage

munchingmalc said:
hi,sorry folks put the wrong webpage link in for the valve output stage,this is the right one.

I apologise
regards malcolm

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/theory/vasfda/vasfda.html#

Thanks. That's the Thorsten stage mentioned earlier.

On www.triodedick.com I found an article on a mu-stage. This mu-stage would be an improvement over the above mentioned circuit. Interesting is that the second triode could be replaced by a MOSFET. Not sure about the size of these MOSFETs but this could mean a smaller (size/volume) circuit with just one twin-triode and two MOSFETs. From the transformer we could get 100V through voltage doubling of the 50V output, perhaps this would be enough. Started reading John F. Rider again as I could not even find the load in this mu-stage thing.......

Any clever ideas are welcome.....

I just bought five 6021's from Ebay. :)

Attachments

• mu6021.jpg
    mu6021.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,412