Philips 9710 trials in worst enclosure ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My implementation

So here is my implementation of those drivers,with good results.While it is not used in a fullrange application,I hope to not offend anyone.I used a rather large sealed box, with a little bit of padding around the driver.The tweeter and crossover(5khz 1st order) is out of some small klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers.The tweeter struggles a little bit with dispersion since I have ommited the waveguide.Also those drivers are not made by philips,but are an exact copy(cone,frame,magnet etc)only the coloring is a little different.Just need some more eq and they will be great.Also,I'm surprised how much power these can take(thermally),they never began to stink or even feel warm,but they bottom out pretty easily.I hope this helps in some way!

Attachments

• DSC_0007[1].JPG
    DSC_0007[1].JPG
    865.3 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0008[1].JPG
    DSC_0008[1].JPG
    820.4 KB · Views: 348
In post #18 I mentioned my TQWT. I wrote that it sounded very good and that my (first) build had some flaws. I also wrote that I want to rebuild it with a slightly different design.

Somewhere in December I placed them in my living room again so I could listen to them again and maybe this way I would get some information about what to change when rebuilding them.

I switched on my system and I was shocked! at what a wonderful sound these (old)drivers produce... I immediately fell in love whit them again. After two weeks I could not help myself and had to add/diy.. something so I added a old Philips tweeter (AD0163/T8) with a simple (cheap) first order filter (1,5uF cap).

Wow! this is the sound I was looking for!!!

Since this thread is about “the worst enclosure” I have to add or make more clear that my TQWT is the worst build enclosure… And I have to add that these flaws are all cosmetic.

So why did these fantastic sounding speakers ended up in storage in the first place? Well it was my first build and as a starter you want to explore more and build more.
And I have to mention that since first build my DIY amplifier had also changed (a lot).

In the past this TQWT was powered by all kinds of wonderful amplifiers like the TA2020, LM3886 and the LM4780 and a bunch off vintage amps.

Now I am using wonderful and totally overkill First One M amplifier and that is (for now…haha) the icing on the cake.

So in short my TQWT is the worst “BUILD” enclosure but I is “maybe” the best type off enclosures out there….

To add to that…. The sound is this so good that I am afraid to build a new enclosure that looks better but misses this magic…

And yes I have to watch the volume setting with this amp...(thats quite difficult)

R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.