• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phase Splitters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: I just built ...

mark_titano said:

I'm looking for an input split transformer to do some test with differential topology. I've read about some projects with Lundhal and Sowter input transformers but I've never read reports about Cinemag products. After I've looked at cinemag homepage I have to say that they seem good products indeed. But how much do they cost? Have you purchased them directly from cinemag?
And which model have you used?

Hi Mark,

If you're looking to experiment "on the cheap", Taleema makes small power toroids that can be wired 120V:44V with center tap, so you get a modest step down...they work for this cheapskate. ;)

Is it worthwhile ?

I tried to play a little bit with a very rough SPICE model of a 1+1:1+1 Interstage Transformer as phase splitter.
I "discovered" two things:
1. I could not push the output tube in A2 class: I hope this is a "feature" of the model
2. the swing required to the (only) driver tube is twice the swing required to each driver tube in a RC configuration: if the output tube is a 2A3 (FB= -50) it is not easy to get a swing of 2x(2x50)V=200V.
So, what I fear that what we get (in positive) from the Interstage Transformer is balanced (in negative) by the need of having a so huge swing (higher distortion, higher output impedance, both, ...).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.