• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

phase splitter issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Usually the value of a differential system is that noise appearing identically on both legs is subtracted out by the receiver. Using the Concertina as a driver defeats this in two ways.

First, the Concertina’s power supply noise is present virtually unattenuated at the plate, but is attenuated by more than the triode’s mu at the cathode. This means that the differential receiver cannot cancel it out.

Second, stray magnetic fields (power lines, etc.) can induce voltages along signal lines. If the lines are routed similarly, and the line impedances are identical, the induced voltages will be similar and will be mostly canceled out by the differential receiver. But you can prove to yourself that this won’t happen with the Concertina by inserting identical high impedance signals into both legs. The different signals occur because the plate and cathode impedances are quite different.

I think that there are simple and better alternatives, but we discuss those, let’s see if you agree with what I wrote above.

Naturally, I agree with all this. I had considered it as an after the fact modification for CD input only-98% of my listening is LP/78's which my main system is totally dedicated to, and as I said, fully differential from cartridge to output. Space is tight, so I was attempting to keep the component count low and additionally, I do not need any significant gain so I was trying to avoid another 2 differentials pairs with their usual CCS's. It may be a better solution to build a separate amplifier for the CD as was my original intention.

I guess it depends on how far you want to go. I'd be a little concerned about the moderate amount of distortion that any triode I know would present when its P and K were loaded with a resistance as low as 1.5K and it were driven to line levels. But if you're OK with that and you're not concerned with power supply noise or stray magnetic fields, go for it!

Then we are in total agreement; 1k5 would be a stupidly low load feedback or nay; an input cap would be the better option using cathode bias and the available HT shared more or less equally. I am confident that I can get the HT sufficiently quiet, hum in the microvolt range. As for stray fields.........

Many thanks for your input!

Nothing new, just testing how some posts look.

21CenMaida_1.GIF

21CenMaida_2.GIF

Hi, I mean you got these tubes, and can't change for some better suited ones. So You need to found the less worse solution, in the given context. But nevermind , I jump in a highly theoretical discussion with a tiny practical problem issue. "What to do" was meant to "what design objetives you can relax, to got the circuit still working, even if it will be far from perfect , given the wrong tubes"

The 12AX7 as cathodyne will be marginal, but for reasons Chris hinted at.

Let's put some approximate numbers to it. You'll want at least 120V on the plate of the first stage for linearity, assuming a +/-10V (or so) required swing, a common number for EL84 output stages. That means the cathodyne cathode will have to be at 122V or so. For a 0.75mA DC current, that works out to about 160k for the load resistor. With a 320V B+, a 160k plate resistor will drop the same 122V. That leaves the tube with 80V cathode-to-plate, which ain't great.

An alternative would be to put a voltage divider between the plate of the first stage and ground, with the cathodyne grid attached to the tap. The upper leg would be bypassed with a capacitor. You can see an example of this in the ImPasse article on my website (though with different tubes). Let's choose a 200k and 470k in series, with the 200k bypassed. That puts (470/{200+470})(120) = 84V on the cathodyne grid, so about 86V on the cathode. For 1mA current, plate and cathode resistors are 86k (82k is standard and close enough), dropping 172V. This leaves 148V cathode-to-plate, which is pretty good.

Hi SY, one of my many faults which you specifically may have noticed is that I never figured out how to post a "thumbnail sketch." I've been getting by with attachments, which are unwieldy. How do you post a "sketch" instead of an attachment, and maybe more importantly, where can I find a document which describes this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.