phase plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paradise_Ice said:
That is something else!,its just not the something i was thinking of,
I dont know who made that woofer but its a phase plug on it right? not a bullet dome? If a high end manufacturer made a big and i mean 12 inch woofer with a bullet cap just the cone motion would be impressive!
Its a Cadence 12" car sub, I dont think its a phase plug just a bullet shaped dust cap if you look closely it has air holes in it(the black dots...)

i see, I company called Volt made this Exoskeleton radial drive, it was very impressive indeed, never did hear one but Wilmslow Audio rave about them! The heat is draw up through the pole yoke into the chassis fins, That also had a phase plug i remember.
Anybody know the working of that driver at all?

The Deckware Tweek!

THOR said:
... he does a dustcapectomy and uses a suitible sized mechanics SOCKET which is stuck to the pole piece magnetically.

Ha ha ha. I just had to try it. I pulled the wooden phase plugs out of the FE107E's. I then pilfered from the company tool box two 9/16" sockets, which fit perfectly. Hey, they sound just fine. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get them out or not. They really slammed in there, I'm here to tell you.

Re: The Deckware Tweek!

Dave Jones said:

Ha ha ha. I just had to try it. I pulled the wooden phase plugs out of the FE107E's. I then pilfered from the company tool box two 9/16" sockets, which fit perfectly. Hey, they sound just fine. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get them out or not. They really slammed in there, I'm here to tell you.

how do they sound vs. the wood plugs and vs. no plugs at all?

i'm contemplating trying this mod. on my (damar'd) Fe166E one of these days.

In a horn the throat is typically smaller than the diaphraghm that it loads, and segments of the wave created by the diaphraghm at its edges have to travel a longer distance to the throat than those that originate at the center of the diaphraghm. Thus they arrive at the throat out of phase with the other wave segments. If they meet the other wave segments at or near 180 degrees out of phase cancellation of the wave occurs and high frequency response can be severely restricted.

Hi

this is the best - i found here an easy reading to the technicality behind - phase plug

if any one need s a more detailed specific reply as to designing of phase plug and application - materials to use ets , please let us know - how to couple horns , radial phase plugs etc

suranjan

transducer design engineer

Re: Re: The Deckware Tweek!

zobsky said:

Plugs are definitely better than no plugs.

My first impression is that the metal may sound better than the wood (with metal screws). But I have not done a double blind or even a fast A/B. (It's hard to get those sockets out of there!) I *think* I may hear a reduction in high frequency raspiness. But we're talking very small differences now. At least the metal sockets didn't mess up the sound in any obvious way.

Socket 2 me

zobsky said:

I set up an A/B test for the wood plugs and the metal plugs (socket wrench sockets) . I've decided I cannot tell the difference. I also cannot tell the difference betwee Husky and Craftsman sockets. :)

So the bottom line is that plugs definitely improved the sound of a couple of dammar-treated FE107E's, but it would take an ear more golden than mine to tell the difference between a metal socket and a wooden plug with a couple of metal screws in it.

The biggest difference seems to be how firmly they attach. I have to use pliars to remove the metal sockets.

Joint marketing venture

[Obligatory message for naggy software]

Attachments

• locust contemplating plug.jpg
    locust contemplating plug.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 163
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.