Phase Plugged JX-92S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

Or so... i had a pair of his Jordan Watts 32 years ago, and before that he was doing the 50 mm driver & before that he was at Goodmans so > 50 years.

As to the phase plug in the JX92, i won't hazard a guess... the cap does seem a left over from the JX150 where its shape had as much to do with it being part of the suspension as being a dustcap.

dave
Have a look. Ted is probably 80 now, I think he deserves some respect for this dedication to speaker drivers no matter what.

Attachments

• my jordan drivers.jpg
    my jordan drivers.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 227
Actually I think Ted is in his mid-70s.

As George mentioned earlier, I had a pair of the mk 1 JX53s which had an aluminium phase plug in place of the dustcap of the mk 2. Having listened to both in system (crossing to a JX125 at 500Hz), the phase plug version sounded harder and less relaxing to listen to. The new JXR6 driver also uses a dustcap, a smaller version to the one in the JX92, and that sounds very sweet at HF.

I'm sure Ted would be the first to admit that the JX92 can be improved but given the fragility of the cone material, I'd be reluctant to try removing the dustcap.

Stixx said:

...what I've been meaning from the beginning.
But there's always people who think they can do better ...;)

Well, when it's only at the cost of a cadaver...:D

I've always wondered what the shape change would do to the response, and what the size of the caps on the JX125 and JX150 would do to the response. The JX125 once had a small VC cap as you can see in my previous post.

Recently I've started to play around with the "gated sine sweep" in SoundEasy, and results are quite interesting in comparison with MLS type measurements. Hope to get more understanding on what the small differences indicate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.